emmiwy

Happy birthday Skydive Elsinore

Happy belated birthday [as of yesterday] to Skydive Elsinore, celebrating it's 52nd year. Here's to many many many more years of success in the skydiving world. I'm so glad and grateful that I was referred to Elsinore to do my first tandem, now its become my home away from home.

To all out there who haven't had a chance to come out to California, hope you can come and experience the friendly people, talented skydivers, and chill atmosphere that Elsinore has offered me.

Peace, love and blue skies.

When I started jumping in the early 70's, Elsinore was the happening place. Nearly all jumpers wanted to jump there some day. It was thirty years before I was finally able to make a pilgrimage to that place. This DZ was one of the stomping grounds of the great Jerry Bird. I'm glad it's still a great place to jump!

Andy Mcfarland was new jumper back in 1970. He too wanted to go to this great Mecca of skydiving (Elsinore). He traveled, with his parents, through California and they stopped at Elsinore.

Back in 1970 skydiving was a wilder, crazier, and more dangerous sport than it is now.

Andy's parents had never seen him jump before. Andy had his gear along, and he manifested for a load. It was a beautiful day, and they all sat down to watch a load overhead. The chutes openned, but this one guy kept falling and falling, and he bounced.:(

Most everyone on the next load cancelled out. But not Andy. He went up, and had a good jump. I don't think his parents were too keen on the sport after that....[:/]

Did I mention that Andy put me out on my first freefall....

Happy belated birthday [as of yesterday] to Skydive Elsinore, celebrating it's 52nd year. Here's to many many many more years of success in the skydiving world. I'm so glad and grateful that I was referred to Elsinore to do my first tandem, now its become my home away from home.

To all out there who haven't had a chance to come out to California, hope you can come and experience the friendly people, talented skydivers, and chill atmosphere that Elsinore has offered me.

Peace, love and blue skies.

Hi E-M-Y,
Yup, Skylark field is quite a place, went thru lots of changes over the years. When you walk out by the slab that was the old hanger beware, you walk on hallowed ground! When the winds blow, if you listen closely, you will hear the laughter and good times of those who went before you. Listen to the storys of the elders and carry on...."And there I waz....."
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Andy Mcfarland was new jumper back in 1970. He too wanted to go to this great Mecca of skydiving (Elsinore). He traveled, with his parents, through California and they stopped at Elsinore.

Back in 1970 skydiving was a wilder, crazier, and more dangerous sport than it is now.

Andy's parents had never seen him jump before. Andy had his gear along, and he manifested for a load. It was a beautiful day, and they all sat down to watch a load overhead. The chutes openned, but this one guy kept falling and falling, and he bounced.:(

Most everyone on the next load cancelled out. But not Andy. He went up, and had a good jump. I don't think his parents were too keen on the sport after that....[:/]

Did I mention that Andy put me out on my first freefall....

I'm pretty much going to put a target on my back and show how little I know about this sport's history. Who is Andy McFarland...?

I'm pretty much going to put a target on my back and show how little I know about this sport's history. Who is Andy McFarland...?

I doubt if anyone on here knows Andy McFarland. He was just another wild skydiver in our club, back in the 70's. He was one of my heroes when I was on student status. Maybe I should have mentioned B.J. Worth. He was another one of our club members...."Back in the day!"

El Nino has visited Elsinore more than once over the years. Had to smile at this web page which listed 'Corydon Road' and a sign for 'Fill Dirt Wanted' during the 1980 flood. (about 1/2 way down the page).

The article also mentions Skylark airport as a 'World Class Skydiving Dropzone'. Nice to know the town recognizes the contribution to their community!

http://www.lake-elsinore.org/index.aspx?page=418

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Got my SCR there on April 17, 1976. Back then an SCR meant something. I actually got it because a DC 3 load of really good Elsinore RW flyers decided they'd help me out. I'd never been in anything bigger than a 4 way before that and had plenty of Cessna RW jumps where nobody hooked up.

I felt really proud coming back to my home DZ with an SCR patch. The local DZ hotshot RW flyers figured I must have stolen it.

GOOD TIMES!

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.