lucky508

MT-1S questions

I’m posting this here because it is old gear and I really only frequent this form. I recently acquired an MT-1S harness container. It is light blue and has both main and reserve ripcords and cut away handle. It does not have reserve free bag and pilot chute or the main D bag and pilot chute. Does anyone have or know where I can find the manual for this system?

I also acquired a MT1-S main that looks to have very few jumps on it. It is red, yellow and black. It has the data stamped on one of the ribs of the canopy. I understand it’s the same as an XL cloud. It does not have a slider on it. Does anyone know what size slider it should have?
Here is some info I found about the MT-1S main.

MT-1S – The main parachute is available in a 5-cell or 7-cell
configuration. The chutes are ram air pressurized gliding canopies
equipped with slider reefing systems. The canopy size is 270 sq ft
(25 m) and has a 300 lbs (136 Kg) carrying capacity. The airfoil
section is the high lift, low drag proprietary Lissamann 7808, which
results in reasonably high forward speed, easy handling and docile
stall characteristics. The main canopy can be safely deployed from
2,000 ft AGL up to 30,000 ft MSL and at indicated air speeds up to
150 KIAS.

The guy I got it from thought it had been and Air Force rig. I don’t know why this gear that is marked with military nomenclature would be colored like this. Anybody have any ideas?

I would like to put this rig into service with a 26’ lopo reserve and be able to jump it for fun with the MT-1S main or I think I may be able to fit a MK1 PC into it. The harness looks like it would be super comfortable for cross county HAHO type jumps. I’ve attached a few pics of the main and can attach some of the H/C if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
Cael

I jumped one once on Dec. 2, 1984. It belonged to Danny Doyle & if I'm remembering correctly the rig was also light blue in color. I can't even begin to guess what color the main was, sorry. The only thing that really stood out about the jump, besides the fact that it was a blue military rig, was that I landed next to the high tension lines along side the GS Parkway.
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Last time I saw him was Thanksgiving weekend 1985 (the last weekend of operations at Lakewood, NJ). Someone here mentioned he was busted up pretty badly in a test jump a couple years later. If you search my posts from a year or more ago, in this forum, or just for "Danny Doyle", you'll probably run across it.
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Briefly as the memory banks are a bit clouded by time.

The MT 1S was the military version of the Para Flite DC 5. This was intended as a Compitation Accuracy.

I loved it.

Around 85 the Army HALO has the MT1X this had a Mt1X main and the MT 1S as a reserve.

It was patterned after the PF Swift system and was a very uncomfortable harness and a very hard to close main and reserve.

The colour was Tan.

We (USAF Reserve Para Rescue)acquired 25 of them.

The next order several of us went back to PF and redesigned the Harness and Containers. The harness was patterned on the comfortable Pioneer Sport Harness the colour was still Tan.

Later the colour was changed to Blue, Harness, container and Canopies

It was still a S over X. The S was a 260 SF canopy and the X was 370 SF

The Blue was chosen as it was felt by some it was a better camouflage colour Day and Night.

There were also some produced as an S over S, for the FF Instructors.

Does your canopy have attachment rings for the pilot chute?

Retired from jumping July 2002