McGonigal

Z-Hills turkey meet 1975

Re: Carl @ DeLand.

I've only known Carl D, Bob H. & Mike for a little over 4 years. They're all 3 some of the best people I've ever known. They make jumping at DeLand a unique and safe experience - for old-timers and newbies.

They crafted a modified re-cert/AFF program for me after about a 30 year hiatus. Flew in 6th on a 6-way on 7th jump back.

Favorite days for me are Wednesdays and Saturdays. On those days there is clan of "oldsters" hanging out in the parking lot deciding whether to jump that day or not. Good guys to hang and jump with. They only jump if there IS wind - to soften the landings. If they don't jump, then it's beer and peanuts. Billy (made the movie with all the cutaways a few years ago) usually hangs there (sans the beer).

Safe landing area? Big field in center, smaller fields to west and to the north of the "main" landing area. Old guy like me: I've not yet, nor do I intend ever to land in the "main" area. I wouldn't want to miss the free truck rides!!!

JT

Let's all do this safe enough that we can still do this in our 90's.

Re:

"There's a photo in Skies Call II of Lou at about 200 feet with the uninflated reserve at line extension. The old Z'hills maintenance building is just behind. A wild man he was. But a good guy."

-------------------
I have Skies Call II and know that photo. Is that photo of the actual jump when Lou went in?

Let's all do this safe enough that we can still do this in our 90's.