Zennie

Check Your Rig Fit!

Had a real eye-opener when going over some head down video this past weekend. We're watching the jump and one guy goes "hey man, look at your shoulder harness"... it was off my shoulder and about 6 inches down my arm.
I generally tighten my chest strap fairly snug. But I notice that when I sit down the strap "loosens". When I put it on another person observed that it seemed to sit a little low on me.
I'm about 5'8" and bought the rig from a person who was about 5'10". The shoulders always fit a little on the loose side but I never felt anything and never thought much of it... until I saw that video. I went back to look at previous jumps and every now and then the shoulder harness would slip off a little.
So for those of you that have bought a used rig designed for someone a bit taller than you... make sure you have your rigger check the fit and make any necessary adjustments. I'm taking mine to my rigger this week to shorten the leg harnesses. Falling out of your rig would be a bad thing!
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

I had a rig that I put 750 jumps on (RW & Style and Accuracy) I then changed to Freefly. I have footage of both my shoulders exposed!!! I never jumped that rig for freefly again. I just got my VooDoo and it fits great!!! Check me out sometime with my gear on sometime Zennie....my stuff is a tight as it can get. I think that I fly better now because my rig doesn't move!!! We should be skydiving today.....hope to see you soon.
Peace & Safe Landings,
Pippy

I took it to Bill and we played around with fit a bit.
Leg straps were about 2" too long, which makes sense since the guy who owned it previously is about 2" taller than me.
His basic take was that the rig sat a little low, but not too terrible. So he wants me to do a few jumps where I crank down the chest strap until the main lift web runs straight down my torso (which we were able to do in the loft). If the rig still slips he'll shorten the leg harness but he at least wanted my to try the chest strap "fix" first.
I'll prolly skip out early tomorrow and come out. Why couldn't this weekend's weather have been last weekend? ;)
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."