howardwhite

Who and where?

Interesting exit shot. B|
Who is it? Where and when?
I know where I got it, and at least one person who is often here probably knows the answer.

HW

Nice pic! Now where's that shot of Orly straddling the tail on the King Air 200 T-tail jump plane? ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I did a few of those exits off the Twin Beechs at Ghoulidge, but they were all one-ways without any cameras around.
There was one guy at the Phoenix FSDO back in the 70s and early 80s who poked around the goings-on at the dropzone a lot back when photos and movies of people doing odd things on and with airplanes got out in the general public.
Zing Lurks

Well now, What a surprise to see this picture. It's Jim Fangmeyer on top of one of Xenia's Twin Beeches. It's one of a series of four photos I took sometime in the 70's (I also had a super 8 movie of the same jump) We had been playing around with the floater handles on the Beech and discovered we could swing up on top of the plane, slide back to the leading edge of the horizontal stab, lean up into the windblast, stand up and "Surf the Beech" pretty much as long as we wanted. At exit time, you just stood up a little more and the wind would carry you back between the vertical stabs. I seem to recall the pilot mentioning that he felt the contol yoke jerk if we stepped on the elevator with the last backward step. (Maybe why we quit doing it. Fabric elevator and all!) Fang tried to get a shot of me doing the same thing, but I think his camera jammed or something like that. I'll see if I can find the originals and post the whole series when I get home next week.

BTW Howard, I'm curious about where you found this one. As far as I remember only Fang and I had copies back then. No internet to post photos to. Nice to see some of the old shots still exist somewhere other than in a box in one of my closets!

Bill

Bill
I found it in the official program for a big meet at Z-Hills; I don't have it immediately at hand (which pile is it in?).
The program was produced by AeroGraphics, so I assume it's something Mike Truffer had in his files. There is no photo credit or other identifying info in the program and Hoop does not know where it came from.

HW

As promised, here is the entire series of Fang's exit. I'm gradually scanning more of my older photos and will post them here as well as probably setting up a Flikr page with the whole collection.

Bill

I've replaced the photos with better (I hope) versions.

Very cool pictures. I notice you posted a high-resolution (300 dpi) image at a small size and very high .jpg compression. When you put them on Flickr keep the high resolution but make them bigger (8.5 x11").
They could use some Photoshop work; they all have a blue cast. I'm attaching a really quick 'n dirty example of how they can be better.
There's a funny pattern of squares visible especially in the darker areas; I wonder what it is -- something on the back side of the print, maybe.
Thanks for posting and I look forward to seeing more.

HW

Thanks Howard. I'm not too familiar with best resolutions etc for online forums. The checkerboard pattern is only in the lower res versions, must be an artifact of the compression. I'll post a link when I get the Flikr page up. BTW the jump was on Nov 17, 1979. I knew it was pretty cold from the way Fang was dressed.