slotperfect

CHiPs Episode 97

I grew up in rural Vermont. Cable TV was something we read about in Popular Mechanics . . . we had a black and white TV with rabbit ears. We were lucky enough to get all three networks, although NBC (which seemed to have all of the shows I really liked) was sometimes a bit iffy. I could fix the reception during those iffy times by standing in front of the TV and holding the rabbit ears in one hand. One of the shows for which I would endure standing up holding onto the antenna to watch was CHiPs.

CHiPs episodes were packed with lots of cool things that I had never seen before, like Jet Skis, chicks in bikinis on roller skates, and yes, even skydiving. Season 5, Episode 97, included an air show with a demo jump by the Golden Knights. I remember thinking then how cool it would be to jump out of an airplane.

In 1999 NBC made a CHiPs reunion show, and the day it debuted they had a 24 hour marathon. I got to see Episode 97 that day, but with an experienced eye - both as a skydiver and Olden Knight. The team was having a hard time that day, crashing and burning all over the target. [It would only be 11 years after that episode aired when I would be crashing and burning all over the target myself.] :D When season 5 comes out on DVD I will be able to download that episode and keep it as a reminder of what was probably my earliest skydiving influence.

It occurred to me that if there were dropzone.com users old enough to identify airplanes, drop zones, and jumpers from the 1950's in this forum, someone might remember this episode, leading to some interesting conversation. Who knows, maybe someone was even involved with the event?
Arrive Safely

John