steve1

Did Ted Mayfield get a bum rap?

I don't know all there is to know on this. I only know what I saw on TV and read in the newspapers, when his drop zone was shut down.

One person accused me of slandering his name for stating a few facts.

I'd like to think that Ted is innocent of all those charges, but I truly have my doubts.

So, my question is, what really happened back then? Does anyone feel he was falsely accused?
.....Steve1

I don't know as much as you do. All I have to go on is the 20/20 story on Mayfield from back in the late 90's that I've got on videotape somewhere. Too many people died at his DZ, including several students. The FAA did the right thing shutting him down.

No offense to the lady who called Mayfield to help in her research on her ex-husband being DB Cooper, but Mayfield could be flat out lying to her. I'm sure with a little research, somebody could pull up a police record on Ted Mayfield... and find out what the real deal is.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

One person accused me of slandering his name for stating a few facts. ***

That is NOT how I read the post she made to you. I think your blowing it way out, I took it to read the two guys selling a book claiming Ted was DB. But you read it your way if that is what makes you happy, I will admit Jo has turned me off from the case with her talking in circles and hinting to shit ONLY she would know anything about, cuz most of those really old farts are now DEAD and not reading her crap here on DZ.com. She would be doing her self a better service to just lay it all out, before she kicks the bucket.

But I don't think she was calling you that. reread it.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

This is what happens when I jump into the tail end of a thread without reading the prior posts. I've talked with Jo and I misunderstood her words about the slander part. So, I apologize for that. Sometimes I get real grumpy and am about half paranoid. I wonder if that is another thing that comes with old age. I really enjoy the people on these forums, and I hate turning into such a negative old bastard.

I also feel bad about stirring the pot over allegations toward Ted Mayfield. He's probably suffered enough over the years. Maybe it would be good just to let all this rest....Steve1

Steve, it's all good, I too have jumped on some others shit about stuff only to reread later the post and see I totally misunderstood what was posted and stuck my foot in mouth. Hey it happens and i guess it may have to do with the old age thing, I just had to get glasses and now I can read better, but understanding it is another subject altogether....LOL
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Quote from Steve

I also feel bad about stirring the pot over allegations toward Ted Mayfield. He's probably suffered enough over the years. Maybe it would be good just to let all this rest....Steve1

Steve,

:oKeep right on stirring that pot. Does anyone know how many times he has been in jail and where he was incarcerated???? I can be reached by private email.

:)

I only know a little about the last few fatalities at Ted's drop zone. I never saw the 20/20 show and I don't know the legalities of Ted's conviction. I suspect he was truly guilty of something for the last fatality of the 80+ year-old 1st jump student. I liked Ted and always enjoyed jumping at his place, because of his attitude and personality. He reminded me of a jumper from the barnstorming days. After 400 jumps and a 9 year layoff, I was struggling with the idea of getting back into jumping. Ted made me immediately at ease so I went up and did 3 jumps from 4K, 6K, and 9K on a Sat. and I was back in the sport. I never heard the rumor about him being a minor DB Cooper suspect until a few days ago when I stumbled across this cool website.