EricGleason

Log book entries from first Freak Brothers convention

Browsing through some of the history on this sight prompted me to dig out my dad's old logbooks. There weren't a lot of interesting remarks, but there were a few that stuck out. (Pat Gleason, FB #505, btw.)

His skydiving log book does have the honor of being signed "Freak Bro #2" on his first AFF. His third to last jump is entered upside down by NNFB #18 Jim Murray, with "LEARN TO RELAX 'PLEASE'!" also written upside down. Apparenly in 18 jumps Dad decided that he'd better stick to flying the jump plane. :)

My favorite is from his pilot log book and was absolutely dead-pan: 8/12/79 Beech 18. Remarks "Freak Bros. Hole in rudder after 4th load. Installed new rudder and came home."

No mention of how the hole got there and I remember him telling people that he didn't notice any change in the flying qualities and was ready for another load when he landed. Someone had to point out the problem and keep him from going again. I was a big kid and a couple of people said that I could have easily fit through the gaping hole that they saw.

There's a much sadder entry from a week before at Hinckley: "Ann went in from 3.5. No Pull." I have a vague memory of someone named Ann around the DZ back then, but don't remember a last name or even a face.

I knew your dad! I was jumping at Hinckley when he was the pilot. Wow, now I'll have to pull out my logbook from that time period.

And you're right . . . the first Freak Brother convention was at Hinckley, your dad was selling t-shirts on the side at that one.

I once made a Notre Dame tire cover for him.

Eric, I remember your Dad from those days ! He flew all my loads as i went thru the student process and many more. Didn't your mom also run the food concession out of that old school bus? I remember Ann going in, i was the jumpmaster on that load. She smiled, let go and rolled fetal all the way. I heard they ,found her meds,ID and a note in her car. Sorry to hear of your Dads passing. Any idea where Jim Murray ended up? Take care.
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

Wally, thanks for posting! I just talked to Mom and she doesn't remember what happened to Jim Murray. My dad stopped flying in '81 and she thinks that Murray wasn't active around Chicago by then and may have moved west. She also said he was quite a character (this is putting it very mildly) and made some "special" cheesecakes for the Freak Brothers conventions.

And yes, Mom did do the concession from that school bus. I have just a couple of vivid memories of that, one of which was being told to keep my 3 year old nose away from the fryers.

I think I posted this before elsewhere in other threads, but my dad's years flying skydivers were by far the favorite years of his life. My folks were broke but still able to have more than their share of adventures thanks to their friends in aviation and skydiving. God bless him, my dad moved us to the 'burbs so my brother and I could go to better schools, and that's when he stopped flying to be a good suburban dad.

One of my treasured possessions is this black and white photo of my dad and I on top of that school bus when I was two or three.

Howdy Folks,

Jim Murray is still around and riding his Harley throughout New England. He got married and stopped jumping a few years ago, due to a bad neck. We jumped together at Lebanon, Maine for a while. I'll forward your e-mail address to him, if you PM it to me.

Blueskys!!!

P. Smurf