AggieDave

Texas Skydiving Association

I've heard about this as well as a couple of other organizations that started up around the country a number of years ago, but I've never learned the details.

Anyone have any information on these former USPA rivals?

Was it true that the FAA nearly stepped in due to the splintering of the USPA? From what I've heard, these organizations were issuing their own ratings, had their own dues, monthly newsletters and the works.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The person that had mentioned to me was saying that it was your mom that talked the people that had created it and were runing it to shut it down and help the USPA achieve its goals.

Upndownshop, Aggiedave, this sounds somewhat familiar. I had heard Bob Chaffin mention something about such an organization when I first started back in 1978 but its's buried in the fog of time. Can't remember if it was just an idea that never came about or was an actual orginazation.

Jerry Felts
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Could it be the Texas Parachute Council that was active in the 60s? Mostly it seemed to be a gathering of Texas jumpers at Georgetown for the annual TPC meet. I have a battered 2nd place accuracy trophy from '68 and some super 8 movies from 1969 or '70 of Gary Lewis's Beech 18 which, as far as I know, was the first "big" ship operating in Texas.

The meets at Georgetown ended shortly afterward due to alleged misbehavior at the Georgetown Inn, room furniture in the motel pool, etc. And then Carlos Wallace, "accidently fell out" (he claimed) of a 182 on take-off, landing under his reserve in the middle of the airport.

The big pea gravel target was visible for years afterward, but each year the grass encroached a bit more. A few days ago, I looked for it from the air, and realized it is no longer visible, although you could probably find it with a shovel.

Texas Parachute Council was very active in the 60's and early 70's. Stevie and Gus (Doc) Anagnostis, Sherry and Jerry Schrimsher were some of the founders and held various offices within the TPC. One of the duties of TPC was to host quarterly state wide parachute meets. Points were awarded in style and accuracy in order to select a "State Champion".
It is still a good idea to remove any skydiving bumper stickers when driving through Georgetown! That used to be an automatic traffic stop!!!! I still wonder who tied the motel manager to the bed in the pool? I thought Carlos fell out at the DZ in Dickenson.

Texas Parachute Council was very active in the 60's and early 70's. Stevie and Gus (Doc) Anagnostis, Sherry and Jerry Schrimsher were some of the founders and held various offices within the TPC. One of the duties of TPC was to host quarterly state wide parachute meets. Points were awarded in style and accuracy in order to select a "State Champion".
It is still a good idea to remove any skydiving bumper stickers when driving through Georgetown! That used to be an automatic traffic stop!!!! I still wonder who tied the motel manager to the bed in the pool? I thought Carlos fell out at the DZ in Dickenson.

Hey Don, I do remember reading about that now. I think I have some meet results in the attic.

Do you remember the Toggle line? I have a few issues. It is great to read how you guys were then. Ya'll were so cool!!B| Just everything was so laid back, easy going and freaken funny. Iwill try to scan one some time.

Thanks

Hey Dave I just may have realized something. You know that big trophy that goes to the SkyFest Scholar of the year??? I bet you that is the trophy that was passed around, maybe Doc can verify that!!

I know that thing is from the 60's and that would be so cool if 40 years later its still being passed along, of course it took a break in our attic but cool anyway...

Where did you get your info on the TPC?

Can anyone post a picture of that trophy? Who has it now?
Doc

Doc
Here it is. I found this in the attic after Jerry's passing and thought it needed to get back out there.
So we had it referbished and came up with the Annual SkyFest Award. It goes to one person a year that has given back to the sport through coaching or even just jumping with the newbies. They do it because they want to not for money, of course that doesn't mean they cant get paid, but just out of the goodness of their heart.
We put their name and year on a small tag on the trophy. The trophy stays on display all year and the winner gets a nice crystal award to take home. This will be our 6th year to award it.

So help me out... is this the one form that time??

Where did you get your info on the TPC?

It came from a conversation with Jack Pylon (sp?) last time we had a chance to visit. He's an old time jumper and jump pilot (ask him about his Loadstar sometime)...I don't think he's as old time as Doc, but then again Doc put Jesus out on his 5-sec delays.:D

I don't remember how the conversation came up, just he mentioned it kind of in passing during our conversation. Later I remembered it and came here looking for anyone that knew more information.

I got these patches during my time with the Laredo Skydivers in 1968-69. Was a Navy rigger stationed in Kingsville and along with two of my shopmates made regular trips to Laredo to jump. They treated us great. Anyone remember?
You haven't lived until you've almost died"

I could not resist replying to your note about Carlos Wallace falling out of the plane at Dickinson, Texas. This was the way the Houston newspaper reported it, but it was not how it happened. We had just taken off and were concerned that the ceiling was too low so Carlos looked at me and said "Have you ever seen a Pull Off" and out he went at about 1100 feet. Doc Anagnostis reamed him for a low exit and did not believe Carlos when he said he fell out. I think he may have grounded him for a while. What a memory and glad to see this story lives on. Carlos generating "many" stories.