wayne8577

Para-Plane pics

Just for clarity a Para plane never had a slider or stabalizer panels. It had 1000 lbs lines with heat shrink red collars around the clove hitches with two half hitches, external brake loops, ropes and rings A paraplane Cloud had 1000 lbs micro stretch finger trapped lines and stabalizer panels . Varations of a slider were coming out then, people tried to put them on the Clouds but the cascades were to big and the slider would hang up. The only solution was a reline with 750 or so lbs lines . Another fun job was detaping all the seams .If you were really lucky it only took 8 hours .it would yield a two quart sauce pan filled with 1inch tape .Now the canopy would fit in a container for a PC with not to much swea ring Seems to me Strato Clouds had a reinforced hole thru the canopy and detached top seams for the stabalizer panele to .allow a stable sink for accuracy.Ah yes the good old days I hope this helped Ihad ababy plane and three paraplanes..

Not true on the wheelchair. Wally was ambulatory when I first met him in 1973, when I did my first jump at his DZ. He limped a lot, but I never saw him in a wheelchair. He died of "natural causes" (lots of mileage on him) in about 1987 (I'm pretty uncertain about the year).

I never saw Wally in a wheelchair. I saw him a few times after the accident in Idaho and Montana. He may have had one stashed someplace, but I never saw it.

I stopped for Boise's boogie last Saturday. It was interesting to see a big picture of Wally on the wall. Only a few people there still remember him. Someone there said that the para-plane jump was his last. Where have all the years gone?

Darkwing, was you there at that Boogie? Maybe I jumped with you....Steve1

...I stopped for Boise's boogie last Saturday. It was interesting to see a big picture of Wally on the wall. Only a few people there still remember him. Someone there said that the para-plane jump was his last. Where have all the years gone?

Darkwing, was you there at that Boogie? Maybe I jumped with you....Steve1

The para-plane femur jump was not his last. He made a few when I was around in the mid-70's. I remember having to run out and catch him in a blanket before he hit.

Sorry, I wasn't at that boogie. I haven't jumped in Idaho in 10 years. I sure miss it there though. If I win the lottery I'm moving back.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Bigbug...did you happen to see the pics I've had up on Monroe's Pic Gallery?

There are some pics that may interest you...all lifted off the internet from various sources - I tried to credit photographers werever I could.

http://www.skydivemonroe.com/picture_gallery/thumbnails.php?album=43

The pics are scattered on different pages so click on all the pages.

Andy
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Hey Andy,

I still haved a paraplane and I think I showed you the packing proc on it! (manual)Amazing isn't it that it didn't get a gag lock every jump, but it didn't! I'll bring it out to Thomaston and see if you'll jump it after seeing it packed! I wouln't let you of coarse as it's too old but you'll get the idea. Yea, I jumped in the 60's and early 70's am I'm STILL HERE!

Ya gatta love it man! Far OUT, Man!

Bigbug
Here's to Old Farts in the Wind!

That's me under the red/white PP Cloud (circa '73 or '74). Interesting to see it surface here. If you are really going to jump one of these things with the reefing system on it be prepared for a really hard opening. I put about 150 jumps on that thing (most at terminal) and never had anything but. I sold it to some unsuspecting soul who was enthralled with the idea of a square canopy. When I saw him a year later he cursed me up and down.