steve1

Anyone remember Portia goggles?

When I started up jumping again, I was getting ready to jump, and asked some club members if anyone had a pair of portia's that I could borrow. Everyone looked dumbfounded, and couldn't figure out what I was talking about. Then one old timer heard what I said, and cracked up laughing. I guess they quit using them about 30 years ago. I wonder if they are still made....Steve1

I wonder if they were also called something else? The big breakthrough that I recall in goggles were Israel Kroops. The harness racers and jockeys used them first, then we (the skydiving community) figured out that they worked well for skydiving, and then Kroop started looking for ways to manufacture models just for us.

Before that, I used two types -- snow-skiing goggles and military goggles used by Navy carrier crews, Army tank crews, and the like. They were hot, a bit heavy, and sweated/fogged up easily.

I recall Kroop goggles were first being used in our club in about 75 or so. Portias were two small pieces of bubble plastic. They were connected by a rivet in the middle and they would swivel open to fit over your nose. They also had a small piece of elastic to hold them on your head. They worked great and nearly everyone used them in the early 70's.

I tried the big black rubber goggles (that some golden knights used back then) but my eyes watered like crazy in those, and I went back to portias. I later started using the kroop goggles....Steve1

I tried the big black rubber goggles (that some golden knights used back then) but my eyes watered like crazy in those, and I went back to portias.

Yep. Those were the ones that I was talking about. The best part about them was that you could get a pair for about $2 at any of the off-base surplus houses, or for free if you knew the right people.

The ski goggles that I used were, I think, Scotts. They didn't fog quite as badly, and were lighter, but were about $12 a pair.

I did find a use for those big black ones though. I broke my windshield out of my pickup one Spring logging, and I had to wait a couple weeks for a new windshield. It was my only vehicle at the time. So a lot of folks saw me flying down the highway at top Speed without a windshield. My hair was longer then and blowing in the breeze. And of course I had my big black goggles on. I also had my arm in a cast that I had broke rodeoing. People would slow down and crane their necks for a second look. Only in Montana do you see things like that.....Steve1

Yep, I remember them well. I used to line them with moleskin so they wouldn't cut into my face. Very comfy. But sometimes if it was hot I'd put them up on my helmet and SNAP they'd come crashing down and smack me in the face. They were the only ones I used if I recall. Nope, I did use another type that were lined and had vents on the side. I think they were better. This was in the 70's.
Sandy

Portias were two small pieces of bubble plastic. They were connected by a rivet in the middle and they would swivel open to fit over your nose. They also had a small piece of elastic to hold them on your head. They worked great and nearly everyone used them in the early 70's.

Ah!!! I think that you mean Porsche goggles!