NickDG

Lake Elsinore . . .

Elsinore has closed, and re-opened, more than any other DZ in history. The first time I ever hear the phrase "phoenix rising from the ashes," it was about this place. There was a time we made night jumps both at Elsinore and Perris when the DZ's were the only lighted spots. Nowadays, night jumps done at either DZ are over the only dark places left.

The DZ at Lake Elsinore battled very well the elements of rain and the flooding from the late 1950s until well into the 21st century. But it will be housing development, and the money to be made from it, that finally kills this legend of a drop zone . . .

I can only hope the family that builds their 2-story $400,000 stucco over the spot where the Godflicker drowned is forever haunted . . . not to mention the rest of our brothers and sisters who ended their lives there. And I wonder. Aren't our passed and deceased worthy of respect and remembrance, like any other prehistoric peoples? I think the drop zone at Lake Elsinore should be saved because it's a place where humankind's dream to fly flourished.

The first fifty way occurred here and I remember it's the first time a freefall formation is referred to as a blot. . . . The concept of going lighter and slower is born here. (It's a time when you took the change from your pockets before jumping).

The Perris Ghetto began at Lake Elsinore. After the flood in the late 70's, when the dream of "Sky World" became "Carp World" (named after the fish you could catch floating around the hangar in rowboat) it must have been a sight, seeing that caravan of jumpers, and dilapidated trailers going up Railroad Canyon road. Like Pilgrims seeking a new life.

There will always be jumping in Lake Elsinore by virtue of the fact so many jumpers, and their descendants, live there. And these future jumps might not be so legal, but since when did that matter . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Development in the Back Basin:
There have been some nasty rumors going around the Southern California skydiving industry regarding the development that is taking place in Lake Elsinore’s back basin.

The city recently approved a development project for John Laing homes, (a 1500 home project near the stadium) which will have absolutely no impact on skydiving operations. Though development takes place with growth, we want to insure the skydiving community that we are here to stay.

Currently we are under negotiations that will secure a home for skydiving operations over the next 20-30 years! Skydiving in Lake Elsinore started in 1959 . . . .

www.skydiveelsinore.com/newsletter/SDE_newsletter.doc

I hope Elsinore continues to have a long life ahead of it. I appreciate the history behind the DZ, and what those that came before me did, and provided through blood, sweat, tears, and good times, so that I might enjoy skydiving the way it is today.

Many newer jumpers could learn a leason or two about a lifestyle that is fading. Slow down, sit around a bonfire, bring an old jumper a beer, and ask them to tell a story.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Many newer jumpers could learn a leason or two about a lifestyle that is fading. Slow down, sit around a bonfire, bring an old jumper a beer, and ask them to tell a story.

http://www.uspa.org/publications/parachutist/online%20archives/2005/01.05/capcom01.05.htm

Skydiving is now at that point where those who started our sport are, in fact, "slipping away." While we will always lose skydivers as time goes by, we will never again lose our founders. They only come around once. For skydiving, they are "our greatest generation."

Really??? I wonder if he remembers the Skydiving Preist! My dad was a Catholic preist before he met my Mom. I have a pic of him in his black suit under a jumpsuit!

You mother must be some kind of special Lady.:)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Adv dlr & cust to show poo and id at dlr.

Umm..... What????

Glad to hear Elsinore is not closing... but I always enjoy reading Nick's posts. Thanks, Nick.

Um, ooopps. :$ I totally didn't see that until Keely pointed it out! Guess I was a little too trigger happy on the "control-V" command. That's a little piece of call center parlance which I accidentally inserted. So, um, yeah, y'all can just disregard that nonsensical oddity.