flyhi

Does anyone recognize this patch?

Wore this patch in the late 70's when I was elected Secretary/Treasurer of the club. One of the drawbacks to being able to type back then. Any other former members out there?
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

10th SFG club I would guess.

Yep, this was from when they were at Ft Devens, MA in the mid to late 70's. Basically it was a jump club for the 10th and I was one of two members who were not SF. Jumped with guys such as Lee Borden, Mel Lyles, Archie Uttley, Carl Franquette, JD Jones, Dickie D Pirtle, Marshall Buck, Buck Harrison, and Steve "Otter" Ottesen.

Subsidized $5 jumps and once a month a free Huey at Turner DZ. The $5 jumps were at Pepperell when it was owned by Jimmy Reid and the only aircraft they had was a Cessna 182.

Did a road trip once to Orange MA to jump the Twin Beech. Tried two shots at an 8-way and would have gotten, if we could have gotten the base together. Bell helmets, tight, black, no gripper, two zipper jump suits, and French jump boots. It was a different world.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Hey flyhi,
I must have met you back then! I was the other member that was not SF :-) . About 5-6 of us came over to the club from the hospital. I think I'm the only one that didn't quit. I recognize all those names! Great guys. I used Reid's jumpsuit sometimes (until I bought Dave Smith's).

I was in the Ft. Devens Trojan Sport Parachute Club, 77-79. Still have the patch to prove it. Great times. I heard Dave Smith went on to make the Golden Knights. We jumped in Pepperell, MA, next to the creek, forest, and motocross track. I landed in a tree my first jump but kept jumping. I had a chance to be in the first all-military eight-way but we didn't jump because of the wind. I would have been the least experienced - needless to say part of the base. I worked at the hospital (Darnall) and most of my jumping friends were Special Forces. Anyone else at Devens back then? Still got my patch and trophy for 2nd place in the First Annual Jumpfest at Bragg.

I remember most of those guys too -- though I was long since a civilian. There was a jumper who was also a WO Huey pilot, and he would occasionally bring it to Pepperell for free Huey jumps there:)I made one of my first -- and one of my few -- CRW jumps with Otter.
It was my sad duty and honor to participate in scattering Jim Reid's ashes over Pepperell -- a missing man four-way that included his son, Michael.
HW