murrays

Are Boenish videos available anywhere?

Hey There,

It's a nice Post of You !

Love them very old B.A.S.E. tapes

So Cool !

My Suggestion is to Google

Miss Jean Boenish BASE # 3.

She's a Very Cool Chick. Full of Life !!!

You might want to try over at BASEJumper.com

Carl and Jean Boenish inspired me / US/ Everyone

Early 80' s Reading about them in Skydiving Magizine.

JUMPING VERY TALL SkysCRAPER'S IN LOS ANGELOS

Etc. Tennesse Legal Building, Early !

There's a big box of very old BASE vhs tapes here that includes some of the first part of BASE in that trunk of Chevy .. here that would maybe like to be collaborated. to dvd.

Scott / Moose What ?

Un Fortunaly ? @ basejumper i talked shit and run my mouth,

They banned me again ! Peremently they say !

Permentaly is a big Word

Gerald

BASE # 75

Living up in Northern California

Before Mark invented the "Line Mod" 1984

Then,

Well, what I can say is that the rumors are true. A 2 DVD Carl Boenish set is coming. The original films have been re-transferred and cleaned up a bit. Menus are being finalized right now.

As I understand it, this came about as a sort of bonus project. A young filmmaker is doing a documentary about BASE jumping, and is using a considerable amount of unreleased film shot by Carl. She was generously allowed access to Carl's archives by Jean. And as a mildly jaded guy who's been in the film business for 17 or so years, I gotta say this archive is impressive. Carl Boenish shot A LOT of film!!

I approached Jean about a decade ago to explore the possibility of cleaning up and re-releasing Carl's films, but it was only discussed....no action was taken. And I'm glad. I think the right folks with the right intentions are behind these projects.

The filmmaker, Marah, has set up a Facebook page for her documentary. Called "Gravity The Film". Have a look. A few really cool previously unreleased frame grabs from the archives.

Here's the link:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gravity-The-Film/163034613758388

Thanks Erik,

Also, my thanks to Marah. This makes for another positive step in our sport. I always looked forward to watching Carl's films at the Gypsy Moths bar and the Hermosa Beach Rumbleseat. Carl would film on the weekend and have the film ready by Wednesday. His films were and are still a great teaching aid.

Regards,
SCR-216

I'm not at all surprised with that kind of turnaround. Carl Boenish clearly lived his dream and I'd venture to guess, loved to share in it. I remember back in the late 80s or early 90s, one of the regulars then at Skydive Deland found a mag-striped 16mm print in a closet or something, and had a cheap VHS transfer made from it. Said it was Carl's. Kinda like what you you described. A bunch of skydives over CA, probably from '78, spliced together with popular music....I seem to recall a Fleetwood Mac tune in there. Not the kind of thing that would be released as a "proper" film, with the bootlegged music and all. But I can see it being shown at a bar!

I never met Carl. But he was nonetheless a huge influence. Not the least of which was to jump 16mm cameras and eventually find my way into the film business as a career. And being such an early influence, standing in his studio / workshop - where it all came together - was just mind-blowing. And I'm not one to get star struck.

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to the completion of these projects!

There are still a lot of people around (some still jumping) that are in those early films and can tell who the others are in those films.
Watching friends on film registers in your head like watching someone walk. Everyone has his own walk, and everyone has his own way to fly. You know who they are from a good distance.
I may be an old fart, but those films and jumping help to keep me young of spirit.

Can anybody tell me where, if anywhere, I could get hold of Carl Boenish's ..." and anything else that Carl produced?

I used a copy of his "Sky Capers"...one of his first if I recall correctly...to recruit college students in the Delaware Valley area in the early 70s. I showed it dozens...maybe hundreds...of times. It was 16mm and finally I had to stop using it there were so many splices. What a film...and not his best by any means.

I googled and found this: http://www.pyramidmedia.com/item.php3?title_id=1260&list=2201,1026,1365,1366,1065,1069,1648,1077,1657,1538,1597,1133,2066,2130,1083,1395,1179,2189,1202,2132,2177,1949,1354,1590,1243,1260,2046,2125,1629,1295,1299&alpha=&cat_id= VHS format $39.00. You'll have trouble finding a VHS machine!

What a great volume of work he created. I'm sorry I never had the pleasure of meeting him.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Patience, Guru! Respectfully to Pyramid Media...forget the VHS!! I haven't heard a specific release date for the DVD set, other than "soon". And knowing what's left to be done, I think "soon" is probably pretty accurate.

We used an old print of WINGS to recruit at University of Florida into the late 80s. A fair chunk of the print was missing by the time we got hold of it. We'd tread up the projector and fire it up. And within a couple seconds, that familiar red WINGS title would come up.

I definitely know what you mean there SCR. A lot of my contemporaries are all over Norman Kent's stuff from the 80s & 90s....pretty easy to spot 'em! And while I sold most of my gear in '92 (still got the 16mm cameras), and made what's probably my final jump in 2002...I'm still drawn to it.

still remember cooking dinner one night and getting the phone call that Carl was dead....

A shining star in the sky, for sure.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone