jlen

Learning to skydive in Florida's HURRICANE SEASON?! HELP!

Hi Everyone!

I've only ever done a tandem and am looking forward to coming over from London to get my A-licence end of August

I was looking to do it at Sebastian but I am concerned that its hurricane season and the DZ is on the coast!

Is this going to be a silly idea? Is August a bad time to come due to high winds?

I've got to take my holiday before sept 3rd so have to come then. It's expensive but looks great! I could do it in central spain but i really like the idea of the US and the look of the course.

PLEASE ADVISE FRIENDS!

Florida hasn't been hit by any hurricanes in quite a few years. (Now watch, I probably just jinxed us!) The biggest weather worry in the summer is afternoon thunderstorms and oppressive heat and humidity. Plan to start early in the mornings, and you should be fine.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Normally, hurricanes that hit Florida form off the west coast of Africa. From there they move with the glacial speed of the British Navy on its way to the Falklands toward the Carib. If you check the weather prior to your departure and there are no disturbances off the coast of Africa or westward, you should have at least 5-7 days of non-hurricane weather ahead of you.

Notice I said normally. Hurricanes are whack. They can do whatever and form wherever, but that is the usual pattern. Agree with all of the above. Wx holds we have had lately are more rain/cloud oriented and last from one to two hours late in the afternoon. Not a big deal. Give you a chance to practice your PLFs, hang around in the harness, review your emergency procedures, get hydrated, or rest.

Good luck and once you get your license, definitely check out Jump IN. You will have some fun with them.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.