Slink2

Slider hesitation and hang up

I have noticed that on my new main Tri 210 on deployment the slider sometimes does not come all the way down against the stops. Sometimes I cant reach it to collapse it. Is this reason for concern? I'm waiting for the jump where it stops half way down. The chute has a long snivel on opening. I find my self pushing the risers together on opening to try to get it down faster. Its new with only 11 jumps on it. I haven't packed it yet myself so I so I don't know if the nose is being rolled too much. just a new chute or what? Thanks guys.

Don,
If your Tri is loaded fairly light you might not need to roll the nose at all and the tail just enough to control the pack, go to aerodyne's web site for complete packing instructions and follow them. To get your slider down either pump both rear risers or unstow your brakes and pump the slider down.
Blue Skies
Tad

I realize it's a new canopy, but fyi.... if it were mine and the slider seemed to be hanging up fairly consistently I'd check the grommets on the slider for snags and have a rigger inspec it and the lines as well. It's probably nothing, but you can never be too safe.

Blues!

Merrick

Just count that as really nice openings!!! Just grab the rear risers and do a nice flare to get the slider down. I doubt it's anything to worry about. Checking the grommets is a good idea but on a brand new 210 I doubt there is anything wrong with them. It's just giving you nice slow openings. As they should be!!!

Slink2,

I would not try to press your risers together to get the slider down. You are jumping a 7 cell canopy and this is usually normal. Slow opeings....slider half waydown. After you have cleared any line twists....release the toggles. Let the canopy fly and if the slider does not come down then I would "pump" the toggles. Pull down from a full flight position to an almost full flared postion and hold. Any end cell closure and slider half way up should clear. If it moves bit but does not completely clear then repeat the action. Do the cotrolability check. Left turn, right turn, flare....check altitude. Can I control this? Yes? Then keep it. No? Then check altitude and if you are above hard deck you might try again. If you feel no further progress can be made and you can't land it. Chop. Does that give you a little more specific info you need?

You jump at SDC I think? I'll be there on Saturday if you want to ask me more question about it.

Chris Schindler
DiverDriver
packing on the red mats in the Team Funnel area.

You don't say how heavily you are loading this canopy. Since it's your 1st I'd guess not very much, witch is a good thing.
Triathlons are well known for being slow opening canopys. As long as it's opening consistantly, I wouldn't be worried about it. Beats the heck out of being spanked and going home with a stiff neck.
I had the same problem (not being able to reach the slider) on my first canopy. What I would do to collapse it was once I was sure I was clear of all traffic I would grab the right rear riser and pull myself up, while reaching for the slider with my left hand. This got to be pretty fun but you need to make sure you are clear cuz you will be spiraling pretty good when all your weight is hanging from one riser!

E