Morg

Best Place to do AFF and hang out jumping for a month or so (Canada, US, Central America)

Ok i know some people are probably ready to berate me already after only reading the title to this post. But heres the deal. Me and a friend are leaving to work in the Yukon next month and plan to work there (gold mining) for about 3 months before travelling down through the US and into Central America.

We both want to get our skydive ticket somewhere along the way. Personally I want to find a good drop zone with a great community where I can hang out for 3 - 6 weeks do my A license and as many quality jumps as possible (goal is 50). I don't want to just do my minimum requirements I want to obtain the experience and confidence to continue jumping through my travels (will purchase gear during course). I also love the idea of training and hanging out in a foreign country with other passionate and adventurous people. I did my paragliding course 2 years ago in Chile and found the whole experience very rewarding :).

Anyway I would love some opinions from you guys on firstly the best drop zone around as far as community and facilities go. It would be fantastic if it was coastal (we scuba as well) and even better if there were good paragliding sites close by. And secondly the best value for money drop zone around (better value equals more jumps and more experience for me). The none for profit ones sound good, I don't mind (actually I would enjoy) helping out and working around the drop zone, i think this would be a great way to learn more about the sport and experience skydiving fully!

I found one of the best things when i did my paragliding course was hanging out with other pilots and instructors at the end of the day, helping out with the gear and just generally becoming as immersed as possible,

Look forward to your responses :)

Oh yes sorry if this is in the wrong section. Also i have done a search and didn't find any recent discussion on this topic.

To add to my post we are very serious about doing this, we have chosen to slog it out for 3 months in a gold mine and earn some coin, primarily so we can spend the following 3 months doing nothing but jumping, scuba diving and paragliding!

Also im a freelance film maker and competent editor etc... Not sure if these skills could come in handy at a drop zone?

So you're looking to be working on your license sometime in the September-November timeframe? That'll help narrow down the list of recommendations for the U.S. as some dropzones in the more northern climates are finishing up their good weather season at that time of year while others in the southern climates are just hitting their good weather. (The folks from Florida and Arizona will tell you they jump year round, but the ones that jump there in July and August are kind of nuts. :P;))

Also im a freelance film maker and competent editor etc... Not sure if these skills could come in handy at a drop zone?

As a beginning skydiver you wouldn't have the experience to be doing video work yourself. For editing, there may be some potential work. I think most dropzones have the videographers edit their own work, but some just have a group of folks that do nothing but editing.

My personal recommendation would be California since provides the opportunity to do all of your desired activities and there are good dropzones in both northern and southern California. B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

No one operates in Belize, Nicaragua or Honduras. There is a part time DZ in Guatemala, but a friend that has jumped there doesn't recommended training there. I'm not sure if the guys are still jumping a club type DZ in El Salvador.
Panama has a DZ, but I don't know anything about their AFF program.

Eden North is a very fun, safe and well run DZ in Edmonton, AB.

Perris, Elsinore and Skydive San Diego are nice places to get certified in SoCal.

Thanks guys! Sorry yes I should narrow it down a little. I will probably be ready around the end of september. And should be heading south by then (running from the cold haha). So maybe to narrow it down the west coast California or Arizona and mexico are probably the most practical locations. Thanks grimmie i will do some research on those ones.

I have read good things about lodi... only 2 hours drive from the coast looks promising :)

i just got done with my A certification @ perris with the jim wallace school...i couldnt recommend it more soooo friendly soooo nice, the DZ is big and easy to navigate from the sky...i have heard good things about elsinore to and eloy in az havent heard much about san diego but im sure its nice but yea def recommend jim wallace out at perris!!!

blue skies!!!

Just head to So Cal. There are three great DZs, all within an hour of each other, Perris, Elsinore, and Skydive San Diego. I'm not sure what the Scuba is like, but there are mountains and paragliding around.

You could get your A at Perris with Jim Wallace and the tunnel on-site if you need it. Once licensed, you could hop over the hill to Elisonre, or drive down to San Diego, and get the chance to jump at some other DZs without killing off a day for travel.

Traveling to others DZs and jumping somewhere besides the place you learn is a big step for new jumpers, and being able to do this right after getting your license will only improve your learning experience.

zhills in florida is the place for u! check their website
u can jump virtually everyday--lots of facilities,etc..B|

MUFF #3384, DIRTY SANCHEZ #28(Chief Recruiting Officer), FALLING GATOR #7801-A, POPS #10957, FLYING HELLFISH #847, HISPAS #79, SRA #9229, Surfador Rodrigues

zhills in florida is the place for u!

Z-hills is great, and my preferred Fla DZ. However, the guy was looking to jump, scuba and paraglide. Socal has jumping, mountains to paraglide, and I guess scuba.

He's also coming from Alaska and heading to central America, so SoCal is literally right on his way. Z-hills is a few thousand miles out of his way.

Thanks a lot everyone this has given me lots to research whilst I'm organising my trip!! I think california is the way to go. I might try and base myself somewhere there or a month or two :) Got some mates there so thats a bonus to!