Jpwalker

Best place to get your skydive numbers up and long term in the US

Hey

I am guy from Denmark on 22 years i have only been in the sport for 6 months and only do 50 jumps and 2 hours of tunnel time.

Now is my plan to work for 10 months and then go to the US to stay there for as long as i can.

I want to spent about 40000 usd just to live, buy gear and jump. Can anyone tell me where i should go?

Christian

If it's 10 months from now, I'd pick somewhere warm like Florida, Arizona or California. Then, you should narrow down your choices to dz's that are busy, have turbines, cheap lodging, good coaches and proximity to tunnels. Are you going to get a car? That would narrow down your choices too.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

DeLand is nice. Like large DZ's in Arizona and CA they are open every day and no problem getting in the air.

All the major gear suppliers are here too and you can demo their rigs before you buy.

Great people and great place to jump
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

If it's 10 months from now, I'd pick somewhere warm like Florida, Arizona or California. Then, you should narrow down your choices to dz's that are busy, have turbines, cheap lodging, good coaches and proximity to tunnels. Are you going to get a car? That would narrow down your choices too.

I have thought about buying car, but how much does a normal car coast in the us ? My amount of money is about 40000 usd so i was thinking about 15000 usd just for jump and 6000 for gear. so then i stille have allmost 20000 left. Do you think that is to much? My goal is to get over 500 jumps when i over there. But the hardeste to get is visum if i want to work over there

Seems like you'd have plenty of money to me. If you don't care about how a car looks, you should be able to get a clunker for $1000. Of course, the state will have their hand out in Tag, Title and License fees. You'll have to get insurance too.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I am at the end of a 6 month stay doing exactly that (arrived with 55 jumps). I will have around 500 when I leave in 6 weeks (prob a few more) D licence and an AFF rating. Have had a blast and I travelled around to different dropzones (Dallas, Eloy, Deland, Zephyr) and seen a fair bit of the country inbetween. I bought a Hyundai Santa Fe for 4500 but with tax and crap would of cost 6+. I will get 3,500 or so back when I sell it. I have camped, stayed with friends or in bunkhouses and made a trip to Canada (visa run). Roughly it will have all cost me between 20 and 25,000. Good luck