Draggyn

Austin Skydiving

Ok I am going to ask cause I cannot find anything definitive that says NO ! Been browsing the DZ locator here and I see listings for Capitol Skydiving, Coupland Texas. Now when attempting to research it I see reviews, webpages, phone numbers an acount here, ref to forums away from DZ however these things do not work. Am I right that they are no longer in business ? Or just have not "paid the bills" as it were ?

If they are no longer in business could we prevail on the webmaster to remove them from the DZ Locator, so that other unsuspecting n00bs as myself are not led to believe that there is some where closer than Temple and San Marcos ??

I'm pretty sure Capitol Skydiving is closed. I used to go there now and then but I heard awhile back that they've shut down. Best options close to Austin are Skydive San Marcos and Skydive Temple. Both are good DZ's, just depends on what you're looking for. Temple is smaller with small planes but a good vibe. SSM is a turbine DZ but more of a tandem factory. But lots of fun jumpers as well. I like them both but spend more time at SSM because I prefer the quick ride to altitude.

I kinda gathered that they were no longer around however there is nothing saying so, so like I said I would ask. Secondly there is about a 500 dollar diff for the AFF courses between Temple and SSM. Temple boasts prepaid 1200 and change while SSM boasts 1800 and change, so whats the deal ??? Why the huge price diff between if they are indeed offerring the same course ? You would figure that the larger DZ would have a better price due to turnover ?

Capitol is definitely closed. Skydive Temple offers the traditional 7 level AFF course. After you pass the 7 levels, you're allowed to jump solo or with a coach until you finish up your A license.

I'm not sure what San Marcos's program is - at one point they had a tandem progression where you start with tandems - I'm not sure if they still do.

I suspect that even though San Marcos is bigger, we do more AFFs. We run courses 7 days a week by appointment, and teach a lot of students..

Apples to Oranges, or at least more Apples.

SSM's price is for 14 jumps, Temple for 7.

Size/cost has little to do with it. Call or visit each and see how extensive/intensive the course is, and what each includes. Every DZ has their own personality, teaching method, and attitude towards students. Choose based on what works for you and what you feel will make you a better skydiver.

Don't try to save a buck on learning to enjoy a dangerous sport. If it takes you a few weeks longer to finish because it costs a little more, it might be worth it.

If you become a better skydiver by the end of the course, it saves you money in the long run.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about either DZ's teaching method or program, nor could I reccomend either, though I did start skydiving at SSM 8 years ago, haven't jumped there in 3 years.

Hey man,

I have personally been to both San Marcos and Temple, and IMO would recommend Temple for your AFF course. I did my AFF there and was completely satisfied with the classes, instruction and dives. I feel like its a better option for AFF simply because it is a smaller DZ, and they pay a ton of attention to their students. Whatever you choose, both DZ's are great, I just prefer Temple, especially when recommending new students. Now go Jump!

-Evo
Zoo Crew

I live in San Antonio and I was looking at Capitol Skydiving also for my first jump until I found out they closed. Is there a good place around San Antonio I could go for my first jump or would San Marcos be the best place?

sorry to use your thread but I thought it'd be better than making a new one since I'm not that far away.

LOL I dont mind, its all opinions and also informational. Feel free to chime in ! I have been considering Temple simply due to the fact its much closer for me anyways. But I plan on dropping in there real soon !!! Watch out !! LOL you guys and gals have a good day ! !!

I live in San Antonio and I was looking at Capitol Skydiving also for my first jump until I found out they closed. Is there a good place around San Antonio I could go for my first jump or would San Marcos be the best place?

sorry to use your thread but I thought it'd be better than making a new one since I'm not that far away.

Like Floormonkey said, they are different. San Marcos is the closest place to San Antonio and Temple is closer to some parts of Austin. I have jumped at both DZ's and they both offer a different experience with AFF and with fun jumpers. Bigger is not always better. If you want one on one training through the entire AFF process, you are more likely to get that at Temple. If you want to learn a little from several different instructors with several different teaching styles, go with SSM. I would recommend visiting both and talk with instructors at both DZ's and see what you like. I went through AFF at SSM but that was before they were as big as they are now.:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.