DocPop

Dealing with the "Crossbrace at 300 jumps" crowd.

I'm not sure he was saying that it's inadequate because it doesn't teach swooping -- at least I hope not. I do think that AFF tends to focus on freefall skills, and leave canopy skills as something that just gets you to the ground.

As someone who came up when canopies really did just get you to the ground, I think that a little more emphasis on canopy theory as well as steering would be good. They're sophisticated machines now.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

ufk22

The Canopy portion of the AFF course is woefully inadequate because it doesn't teach swooping???

Where on earth did I say that?

My opinion seems to be shared by the majority of those who voted (even if not by those who actually posted).

Sadly the second most popular option is "Ignore it and watch them pound in". Certainly an easier option and perhaps an indicator of why we lose so many people to intentional low turns.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Great points, and worthey of mention heer is PDs' position with their new canopy. I'm surprized at how little flack the idea that the manufacturer is limiting usage to "invitee's" is getting in the press!

Not really all that new for PD. When I bought my first Stiletto I had to fill out two waivers (size and type) and had to pass an interview from PD.... Yes, they actually called me.

And I hooked the fucker in on the 4th jump... But that's another story.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334