AiRpollUtiOn

Almost 1st chop-chop

After tracking away from a great 4 way @ Midden Zeeland (Holland) this weekend I had a great opening, yanked the back riser to head for the field, pulled down slider, opened helmet visor and chest-strap, taking my time.
Then I took my toggles and pulled them down to get out of half brakes.
Then it went quite fast, I did more than 360° before I got the canopy straight again, one steering line was blocked.
I decided to give it another try, yanked right steering line (still holding down left one but prepared for quite an agressive turn if right came loose) ... nothing, 1500 ft, one last try, otherwise bye-bye stiletto, welcome PD reserve, yank, loose!
felt quite good not having to cutaway at that altitude. (I know it's more than high enough, but just for fun look down at 1500 ft and see how you like the view...)

The reason for this blocked steering line: wwwwwaaaayyyyy obvious answer, multiple twists in the steering lines.
I didn't check this when packing because we had about 8 minutes to get packed and ready to go again.
Note 1 to self: even in hurry-hurry circumstances, push "keep cool and take your time button" ON

Another interesting lesson learned: I shouldn't have taken so much time getting down my slider and such
Note 2 to self: Don't forget to switch "keep cool and take your time button" OFF when not needed

2 lessons learned on one jump, and one reserve pack saved, sure counts as a low cost jump in my book.

That wasn't a rude question, I hadn't paid attention for a couple of jumps, didn't have much time in between jumps.
Believe me, I made some huge mistakes, and this has woken me up, I'm paying much more attention now!
"Don't make me come down there" - God.

My site:http://www.skystudio.nl/video.html
Some of my vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/TomSkyStudio

Hi

On a related note, I did my AFF recently in Empuriabrava. I was hanging around waiting for my rig to be packed and I happened to notice that one of the brake lines was twisted, top to bottom, I'm guessing about 3 turns per inch. I shuffled from foot to foot as the packer got nearer to getting the thing in the container - what do I say, what do I do. Hey, it's my life - 'Excuse me, have a glance at this brake line; are you happy with this?' Reply - 'Are you a rigger?' Naturally I did what any red-blooded male would do; I wandered away sheepishly. Ah well.

Regards
John Midgley

Empuriabrava expect you to stow your own brake lines when you lay it down for the packers.
I know you were on aff but even so if you see they are all twisted up, untwist them - 'cos the packers get paid peanuts there and are under pressure to get a lot done in a short time. And you don't want to be concerned in the plane or during your jump about how your chute is going to open.

I once had the same problem (one steering line blocked) while riding my reserve.
I had to cutaway 'cause my Sabre was spinning in a fast rotation. I was far from the drop zone, in a place full of vites and cows, not an easy place to land... So I was concentrated more on finding a place where to land safely, rather than solve the problem with the steering line (I tryed a few times, pulling hard, but the ground was coming fast...). When I began my flare the steering line got free, and I just fell into the mud... :S
Am I the only one who experienced something like this?
Blue Skyes - Koala