petur

Malfunction Photos

Hi all,

I am writing safety-related articles to educate my fellow jumpers in Iceland. The plan is to publish the articles on the IPA (Icelandic Parachute Association) website which is currently in development.

Does anyone have any malfunction- or other safety related pictures I could publish with the articles? Anyone know of a good collection on the web? Photos of equipment failure or damage, ground or aerial photos... everything helps!

Full credits will of course be displayed with all pictures used!

Blue ones from the frozen chunk of ice in the North Atlantic :)
Petur.

The first picture looks really nasty! I wanted to ask how you managed to survive that, but then I watched the video and saw the canopy was still opening.
btw; did you just cut the command line or something else, too? If this had happened on a skydive at 3000', would you still cut the line or would you chop?
Since Petur is (presumably) writing for skydivers, differences between skydiving and BASE emergency procedures should probably be pointed out if this picture is used- especially the fact that we always have the option of cutting away and deploying reserve while BASE jumpers have to make do with whatever mess may come out of the container.
On a related subject- is there a list of BASE emergency procedures? I'm not ready to try BASE yet, but I think some of those procedures would probably be useful for reserve malfunctions- I've noticed this subject is too often dismissed with the words "The reserve always works!", which means that in the unlikely event of a reserve mal, you have to think about the solution to the problem instead of knowing it beforehand.

...did you just cut the command line

Yes. I just cut the toggle off.

If this had happened on a skydive at 3000', would you still cut the line or would you chop?

If I saw this on a skydiving main, I'd go to the reserve.

...is there a list of BASE emergency procedures?

I am not aware of any published list. The most common emergency is off-heading opening, and the established procedures for that aren't really relevant to skydiving.

The procedure for other malfunctions is basically "be on your sh@t." It's not real helpful, but that's basically what you hear.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Thanks for the video and stills Tom!

Even though it's BASE footage, the procedure demonstrated is something I think skydivers should consider below 1 grand.

You may have to photoshop out the background, if the IPA feels the same way about my parachuting discipline that the USPA does.

The IPA has nothing against base jumping since it's simply not our business. For fun, here are photos I took of an organized base jump for audience to celebrate the merger of two companies in Iceland in june 2001 :) 01.jpg, 02.jpg, 03.jpg, 04.jpg, 05.jpg, 06.jpg, 07.jpg, 08.jpg, 09.jpg, 10.jpg, 11.jpg, 12.jpg

But we're off the original subject now... and this is not a BASE thread :)

Does anyone have more malfunction- / safety related material to contribute?
---
P.
"It Hurts to Admit When You Make Mistakes -
But When They're Big Enough, the Pain Only Lasts a Second."