colossus

Dropzone Safety Procedures

Hello,

I was at our Club's AGM the other day and a question was raised: Do we have an emergency response procedures manual? The answer suprisingly was no we do not.
As such, I was asked to look around to see if there are any out there and, well is there and can you help us?
Things that we are looking for is what if there is an injury, what do we do? What do we do if a student blows 10 miles away?

Of course, we use common sense, but what we want to do is look, especially to the new students, that we are safety first.

Thank you in advance,
Jason Warren

About 40 million years ago, I wrote a document for USPA on "What to do in case of a fatality." I believe it still exists in modified form in some USPA pub, perhaps the S&TA Handbook or some such. Though it deals only with fatalities, it probably contains some reasonable advice for other situations -- who handles gear, who deals with the authorities and the press, etc. A minimum is a list of phone numbers of people who need to be notified in what kind of event.

You will probably have to bribe someone from USPA to get this.;)

Some of this stuff is inevitably local; for instance at my club we are to call the local police in case of any cutaway, to deal with the inevitable whuffo calls about a skydiver dying.

HW

I'm hosting a seminar on DZ First Aid, subtitled "What not to do if someone gets hurt," at the PIA symposium. My intent is to talk about what non medical trained personnel can do to help, what kind of training individuals might choose to get, and what kind of equipment might be appropriate for the DZ. Having a manual is actually a pretty good idea. But it would have to be in a simple check list in order to be useful under stress. Perhaps more detailed for review BEFORE an incident. Liability, OHSA , and medical control authority issues may very well prevent DZ's from formally supporting emergency medical response by employees.

There is a chapter on fatalities, what to do and how to investigate in the old S&TA manual. If no one has one around there, I could probably supply a copy.

One lost art is tree rescue. We used to know how to do it because we did it routinely. It's kind of a lost "art" these days.;)

Terry

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE