Scubadivemaster

Skill Level for Eloy

First - Don't jump all over me, this is an honest question with no assumptions made because of the recent accidents. I don't want to talk about those incidents; they have been more than thoroughly covered in the incident forum.

My wife and I have been considering a trip to Eloy this winter to take advantage of the wind tunnel and warmer weather jumping. However, after reading the incidents forum, there seems to be an overall feeling that Eloy is geared toward "pros", and even some suggestion that low timers like myself might be out of place there.

Before anyone gets all pissy with me, I am not trying to insinuate, or even repeat, anything bad about Eloy. In all aspects of life there are places that only the more experienced should go; that are poor places for beginners. My question is simply if the consensus is that Eloy is really one of these places for Skydiving.

Go have fun!
You'll be fine if you exercise caution and know when to say "No".

Southern DZ's (Not Just Eloy) pick up in the winter, so it is like being at a long medium sized boogie.

You can always land at the alternate Landing Area and walk to manifest (500m~), or even land near the grass in the dirt and walk in if you feel "crowded".

Just don't get pushed into some thing your uncomfortable with and you'll be fine.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

My husband and I went to Eloy this year. We both had under 200 jumps at the time. When we got there, we spent a good hour or more watching other loads, landing patterns, looking at maps, and getting an intro to the DZ by one of the staff members. After we both felt we had a good feel for the DZ, we jumped our asses off and had a great time.

We both loved Eloy and will be going back in February with a lot of friends from PA. The only drawback of Eloy is because it is so heavily a team/training DZ that in 3 days there, we only did 2 ways, there just wasn't much of a fun jumper population there to do anything else. We learned a few good drill dives by watching teams dirt dive and modifying it to a 2 way though, so we still learned a lot and had a great time.

Go, have fun!!

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

For no logical reason, I used to be thoroughly intimidated by Eloy, even though I had already visited every destination dz in Central Florida and Southern California by myself.

In October 2005, I went there for a weekend with a friend. My friend and I had 100 and 200 jumps respectively. While waivering, we asked to jump with an organizer. To make a long story short, the organizer engineered a series of fun, progressive dives (we both got our C license qualification jump) with an array of locals and other visitors. Afterhours, he introduced us around. It was one of the most memorable skydiving experiences I have had to date.

Besides, there's something inspiring about riding up with Airspeed and watching them exit. :)

I had just under 100 jumps during my first visit to Eloy; that was during a slower time (mid-week in the early summer), so they were only running one Otter at a time and most of the people there were training. I felt comfortable jumping there at the time and even landed in the main landing area when the prevailing winds made it a better choice. As others have mentioned, there is always the alternate landing area, and it really isn't much of a walk at all. Depending on how the winds are, you may find that you can get a nice into-the-wind approach in the alternate area when the main landing area requires a crosswind landing.

The advice to ask for a thorough briefing and watch some loads land is excellent advice. You'll be able to get an idea of what the traffic is like that day and make some choices about where it's best for you to land. The best part is that Eloy is in the middle of the desert, so although you may get a little dusty and walk a little farther, I can't think of a DZ around that has more safe outs than Eloy.

And as for Eloy being geared towards pros? That's to your advantage because you'll have some absolutely world-class training and learning opportunities there. Ask at manifest about organizers (you'll find they're more likely to be there on weekends than weekdays) and they'll be sure to match you up with someone to jump with.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

As others have mentioned, there is always the alternate landing area, and it really isn't much of a walk at all.

Especially, when you're hiring a packer. :ph34r::P
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

there seems to be an overall feeling that Eloy is geared toward "pros",

I wanted to reply to the person who made that comment in the accident thread, but it wasnt the right place. Thanks for providing a good place for it! :)
BS.

There is a lot of team training at Eloy, yes. There is also lots of opportunities for junior jumpers to have fun, and learn a lot.

I'll put boogies asside as they are a different animal.

Weekdays will be on the slow side as far as jumping with lots of people. It will be mostly teams. That being said, there are often groups from all over converging for non boogie trips. Right now, its the Canadian Invasion. Just before xmas, it was a group from Seatle.

There are training events geared towards all levels of jumpers on the RW side of things: from Airspeed Camps, to Mentor Weekends with Divewerkz. I wont comment on the FF side since I dont know what happens on that side enough to comment. Dont be intimidated that its that guy from That Team who is organizing/coaching. They are there for you, not the other way around, and they like it that way.

On weekends, there are also load organisers who will catter to the level of the crowd they have, splitting them off if required in multiple groups.

Landing issues: the landing areas are actually pretty large. There is no requirement to land on the main LZ: I'll often go the the alternate if the winds are a crosswind over the buildings. And on top of that, the desert is huge, proving quasi-infinte outs.

We moved here a year ago, and we'd been here for a couple of the xmas boogie before that. What impressed us was that for a very large DZ, its remarquably friendly.
Remster

Thanks for posting this thread. I'm going out there next week, 9th-13th. I have had the same concern, my jump 3's are pretty low! It was helpful for me to look at the reviews and profiles of those that were comperable to myself. And now, reading this thread!
Good, Better, Best, never let it rest 'till your good better and your better best

Scuba,

The Remster mentioned the Mentor Program which our team runs for jumpers looking to improve their RW skills at Skydive Arizona.

One team member takes a group of three participants and organizes a day of productive 4-way RW jumps to improve skills.

We cater the jump difficulty to an appropriate level given the participants and goals of any particular group.

We'd love for your to join us for one of these weekends, I am sure you would find it a great experience. SDAZ has committed to making Eloy a friendly, comfortable place for jumpers of all levels to learn and excel, we're happy to help the DZ in this respect.

For additional details, check out:
http://www.divewerkz.org/mentorcamp.html

The next mentor weekend is 10-11 Feb 2007 as we are conducting the program this weekend as well. Check SDAZ's website and look for future dates in SDAZ's advertisments in Parachutist.

Blue Skies,

Blane
Arizona Divewerkz