ffchic

DZs in New Zealand

My husband and I are going to NZ in November on vacation and want to know where to fun jump in NZ? We'll be taking our own rigs and we're both USPA D license holders - so if anyone's jumped down there recently and can recommend good DZ's on the North or South Island please let me know!

Don't expect a full on fun jumping scene, but plenty of dropzones/tandem factorys everywhere.

For scenery though there isn't much better.

my favorite is fox glacier (jump next to mt cook/aoraki nz's higest mountan 12000' above a 13 km glacier a temperate rain forest, lakes and the ocean, sigh i miss those views) www.skydivenz.com rod is the dzo and a terrific guy. he will accomodate you as best as he can. it can really rain on the west coast so contact him before you go they use a 185 which is wonderful because the climb to altitude is second to none, up the glacier around the mountains and you can see lterally 1000's of mountains and hundreds of glaciers!

I assume you are going to the south island, and if you are not then you should change your itenery as this is the island with all the views!!!

glenorchy(nzskydive) is pretty good too, they have a porter now so the climb to altitude is nowhere near as good as it was when they had a 185 but a bit faster and roomy!

hope you enjoy yourselves, and if you go to fox make sure you contact rod before you go to the west coast as he reads the weather like a clock.

Give trev a kick in the pants from 'rhyso';) and get the big breakfast from the hobnail cafe!

and if you havn't already, look into motorhomes, they are by far the best way to get around as you can stay anywhere, you'll be suprised at the beautiful places you come across with not a soul around!!

beaches, rainforest, mountains, lakes, glaciers.....

i'm homesick!!

if you're interested PM me and i can tell you some wo\nderful places in the south island as i have circumnavigated it many times!!

eg, natural hot springs, caves to walk through, glaciers that break off and fall down 1000' cliffs(base site, the 1) etc. all for free!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

exactly what he said.

Though for sport jumping you will find a cool scene at skydive auckland, Mercer. It is an hour from auckland, they would pick you up from the airport when you arrive and give you a room for a small fee.

This is the sports dz of the north island, you will find a sweet porter there and lots of atmo dives and freeflying as well as the rw.
People from other countrys usually live on the dz there and spend a shit load of time satying there.... Jamie (one of the owners) is known to take the porter off to the beach on birthdays etc and they even hire out an island at a certain point of the year with skydivers and skydivers only on the island.
You can buy very cheap jump packages that work out to 23nzd a jump that can be shared between two people.

While in new zealand though, you have to get to the south island and jump queenstown, glenorchy, fox glacier and able tasman. In my opinion, there is no better view in the world in freefall than queenstown.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I can only imagine how beautiful Fox is, shaun has been raving about it over here in the states... Just everytime i was in the area had too much cloud cover for jumping.

Congratulations with the worlds.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store