RacingDriver

Perris around christmas time?

Well, to be fair, Perris' calendar says there's a holiday boogie there, so I'm sure there will also be plenty going on at Perris over Christmas time.

Eloy's still the place to be, though.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I will be near Perris for Christmas (palm springs), so I thought I would try to make a few jumps there at the time. I sent an email with some questions, but have not heard back.[:/]
So before I hassle them somemore, I thought I would try out DZ.com. Don't fail me people! :)

Here is my email:

I am an A-licensed low time (59 jump) midwestern cessna DZ jumper who will be near Perris over Christmas. I would like to take a few days out my schedule for some jumping, and I had some questions:

1. For a relative noob like myself, will I find RW loads to satisfy my 2,3 & 4way needs? OR Will there be people to jump with?

2. What is this jump the jet buisness? When will it be flying? How much is it? Will someone with my experience be allowed to jump it?

3. I noticed it can be cool in December, which does not bother me; I am sure it will be 20-30 degrees F here, but is it often windy, cloudy, or rainy around that time?

4. Any other cool holiday boogie things planned? I would like to jump a tailgate, but I suppose the Skyvan will still be out of commission.

5. Tunnel time. Should I sign up now? I would like to get some RW coaching.

6. I may, depending on the weather here, go out of currency (90 day limit). As an SL graduate, what recurrency program will I go through?

So if anyone has any answers to these, please let me know, as I have some tickets to buy...

Thanks,
Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Disclaimer: I've never been to Perris Valley and don't know much about their Holiday Boogie. I was at Eloy for two days last year though.

I will be near Perris for Christmas (palm springs), so I thought I would try to make a few jumps there at the time. I sent an email with some questions, but have not heard back.[:/]
So before I hassle them somemore, I thought I would try out DZ.com. Don't fail me people! :)

Here is my email:

I am an A-licensed low time (59 jump) midwestern cessna DZ jumper who will be near Perris over Christmas. I would like to take a few days out my schedule for some jumping, and I had some questions:

1. For a relative noob like myself, will I find RW loads to satisfy my 2,3 & 4way needs? OR Will there be people to jump with?

If they boogie is well attended, then you should be able to find something. Someone at manifest should be able to direct you to an organizer...or just hang a sign around your neck.

Also, if you never been on a load bigger than a Cessna before, you'll find all the canopies in the air rather intimidating. Talk to more experienced people for advice. You can hang in brakes until most of the canopy has passed, land at an alternative landing area (if one exists) and such. Be VERY aware of all the canopies around you to avoid collisions.

2. What is this jump the jet buisness? When will it be flying? How much is it? Will someone with my experience be allowed to jump it?

It was $99 at the WFFC to jump the Perris DC-9. I'm guessing it will be about the same. No idea about requirements.

3. I noticed it can be cool in December, which does not bother me; I am sure it will be 20-30 degrees F here, but is it often windy, cloudy, or rainy around that time?

It could be cool and rainy or as warm as the 70s during the day.

4. Any other cool holiday boogie things planned? I would like to jump a tailgate, but I suppose the Skyvan will still be out of commission.

I think they may have more than one Skyvan.

I'm sure it couldn't hurt.

6. I may, depending on the weather here, go out of currency (90 day limit). As an SL graduate, what recurrency program will I go through?

So if anyone has any answers to these, please let me know, as I have some tickets to buy...

Thanks,
Seth

Hmmm...don't know what to say. Maybe they'll have enough AFF-Is around that could do a recurrency jump with you if needed.

Yes. Perris usually has load organizers available for low timers.

I was told recently that the jet would be flying loads during the week after Xmas. Don't know experience requirements though.

I'll be there at least one day after Xmas so I can finally log a jet jump, too.

December in California is a toss up. I jumped at Perris on Xmas Eve last year and it was 80+ degrees. OTOH, I was staying in a tent at Perris the year before and it rained so hard the entire dz flooded. To counter what another poster has said, that same year I went to Eloy after Xmas and it rained there too.

Never know. People at Perris love the Skyvan; I have a feeling that despite the expense involved in fixing it, if it's possible to have it flying by then they will.

Don't think you can be too early in scheduling tunnel time, especially if you want to work with a coach (as opposed to just working with the tunnel instructors, who are all capable of helping you with basic RW stuff).

Be current when you get there. Recurrency jumps at Perris are pricey.

A few other things to know/be prepared for -

Expect that getting the waiver and gear check done will take an hour. Bring your logbook and be sure to have at least the last jump in it signed by someone other than yourself. Bring your current USPA card. Be sure your reserve is in date. They check the card and the seal and they don't let you slide if they think you've pencil packed it. Repacks at Perris are pricey.

Perris is a great dz. That said, if you have more than one day available to jump while you're out here, I'd suggest spending at least one day at Elsinore as well.

Never know. People at Perris love the Skyvan; I have a feeling that despite the expense involved in fixing it, if it's possible to have it flying by then they will.

So, do they really only have 1 skyvan? Maybe it is only Eloy that has...uhh...three of them.