mattyblast

Bringing Groups to DZs

I'm interested in getting a group together (a large group!). I have a few questions:

1. Can everyone tell me which day of the week during the summer is usually the slowest at your DZ, all other factors being equal? I realize that there's no guarantee that a certain day of the week will always be slowest (for example, the Monday following an entire week of overcast skies would be packed, I'm sure!), but I'd like to maximize the chances that everyone will be able to jump.

2. Has anyone heard of DZ's that give the host of a large group a free jump, as an incentive for doing just that (bringing a large group of people)? Group discount rates apply, I know, but hey, I thought I'd push my luck a little further.

3. Any other suggestions? What should I do to make sure that the group outing is successful for both our group and the DZ?

(By the way, the group I have in mind is Meetin.org., which is a free event-planning organization with chapters all over the world. Check it out and see if there's one for your city!)
"DOOR!!!"

1- most regular weekdays are slower. A lot of DZs actaully have discounts those days too. You want to maximize the chance of everyone to jump: how big a group are we talking about?

2- Again, most DZ will offer a group rate or free slot for x number of of paid ones

3- Dont count on getting lots of people. Most people will tell you they really want to jump. I mean, really really! But when it comes down to actually signing up for it and putting down a deposit, most will back off. Its not a bad thing; this sport isnt for everyone.
Remster

Make sure to talk to the cafe/deli folks ahead of time so they can be ready for you too.

If you are all showing up at the dz at the same time early in the morning, bring coffee and donuts for the group and offer some to the manifest/waiver staff.

The video guys can also run videos for all to watch prior to the first tandem video being ready or during weather holds and other delays.

Some dz's have other activities so make sure to discuss what's available with the dzo/dzm prior to getting there.

One thing we try to do is have a few jumpers "mingle" with the group to answer questions, break the ice, etc. I have met some great folks/non-jumpers that way.

At the end of the day, don't run off. Some dz's have great bars and a lot of the jumpers will hang around if enough folks are there to party with.

Blue skies,

Jim

2. Has anyone heard of DZ's that give the host of a large group a free jump, as an incentive for doing just that (bringing a large group of people)? Group discount rates apply, I know, but hey, I thought I'd push my luck a little further.

Actually, Spaceland does. Link to group discounts:

http://www.skydivespaceland.com/group_discounts.html

Has anyone heard of DZ's that give the host of a large group a free jump, as an incentive for doing just that (bringing a large group of people)?

Skydive Houston does- bring 12 tandems with you and your tandem is free! You'd have to call them and see if instead you could apply that cost to a discount on an AFF jump. They also have group discounts and if you're licensed you get a free jump for every student you bring! When in doubt, it won't hurt to call around to your local dzs and ask, but be sure to figure in that at least that many people have to show up- I've seen so many upset tandems when their group reservation was for 12 but only 6 or 8 showed up and they had to pay for their jump, as well as a cancelation fee for the no-shows.

If the group is coming out to do tandems, then many dz's offer incentives to the host. Last year at Skydive Elsinore I brought a group out where 15 of them did tandems. I got a free jump for each tandem. We were there with 30 people on a weekend and Skydive Elsinore was absolutely wonderful with organizing the loads and making sure my people got their skydives in.

As far as experienced skydivers go, I am really not sure how the whole group thing works. A call to the DZ will usually yield answers for you. I will say this though, I know that here locally in So Cal that most dz's will turn the planes and run their extra aircraft if its cost efficient for them to do so (i.e. enough jumpers to keep the planes full and running)

Talk to the DZ that you want to do this at and get their input.
FGF #6
Darcy