bigway

gran canaria

I was there for the xmas boogie and a few weeks afterwards. Unless there have been major changes, this is roughly what to expect;
There are (or at least were back in january) two clubs, both operating from the same airport (El Berriel). Both are heavily oriented towards tandems (quite understandable) and fly 206s to about 10k. I got the impression that they fly whenever there are passengers to take up, not just on weekends.

Ticket to 10k was 30€ last winter. Landing area is at Playa del Ingles, on the Maspalomas dunes, about 10 minutes drive from the airfield. Winds can be pretty strong and spots are often adjusted so that you open way out above the ocean. I believe floatation gear is mandatory and can probably be rented at the club.

Overall, it's worth doing a jump or two for the experience, although renting gear there is probably a better alternative than taking your own along. And besides, if you have a strong emotional attachment to your rig, all the sand that gets on it after landing on the dunes will make you cry.:P