skysprite

Skydive NM's Annual Water Boogie '05! Sept 9th-11th!

This should be going up on our website soon, and we'll be updating it regularly as we organize more. But here's preliminary info on Skydive New Mexico's Annual Water Boogie 2005!

---------

boog•ie
1. To dance to rock music.
2. To get going; leave: We're late; let's boogie.
3. A gathering of skydivers, usually focused on fun rather than competition.

Sure, summer is great. But seeing it through to the scorching end is even better! That's when Skydive New Mexico temporarily relocates to the shores of Elephant Butte State Park for their annual tradition known as WATER BOOGIE.

Make your plans now to join Skydive New Mexico September 9-11th (the weekend after Labor Day) to jump or just to watch canopies glide down from the sky to kiss a part of the 200 miles of shoreline off Lion's Beach. Whether you land in water, on the beach, or in a lounge chair with a tall, cool one, bring your gear and camping equipment because you're about to have the best weekend of the summer! The camping facilites include electric hookups, tables and sun shelters, water hydrants, public phones, nearby showers, a packing area, and a shaded drying area for wet canopies. Hotels are available nearby, 5 miles south, in Truth or Consequences.

WATER BOOGIE isn't just about jumping! There's non-stop burgers and dogs cooking on the grill; bonfires that glow with laughter, stories, and s'mores throughout the night; there's boating, fishing, swimming, and hiking trails to view the non-jumping wildlife. Bring your friends and family--there's something for every summer-loving one here at Water Boogie 2005.

Come back here for developing information. As it gets closer to September, we'll post specific details about the event. (Possible hot air balloons, raffles, boogie fees, Sunday morning 911 memorial service, Harvey's Student of the Year award, commemorative t-shirts, etc.)

Otherwise, you can get a map and park information here:

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/nmparks/PAGES/PARKS/BUTTE/BUTTE.HTM

We'll see YOU at WATER BOOGIE 2005!

-------

I would love to see you guys come cause this is gonna be the partay of the year in New Mexico! We're working on pulling together info on local motels etc, otherwise bring a tent! You can PM me if you want info/have general questions. You do need to be at least B license qualified and have had live water training within 60 days of the boogie if you plan to jump into the water. We generally don't want to do water training at the boogie, but if there is enough demand, our instructors can conduct a live water training session off the back of a boat so you can jump in the water if you don't meet the 60 day requirement. If anyone knows now that they're going to want or need that, let me know so I can start getting a list together and let the instructors know!

More info to come! This is going to be awesome!!
~skysprite

Sorry, Zebra Tit shut down due to security concerns. You'll have to fly into Albuquerque's Sunport. I've flown into and out of it a bunch of times. Easy parking and fast, convenient car rentals.

Let us know when you're coming in, and I bet we'll find someone to pick you up and show you around. Us New Mexicans can be a hospitable bunch. We even have a few jumpable objects, if your tastes run to the dark side ;)

Hope to see you out here!

which airport should I fly into? Zebra Tit regional, or Rhino sack International? that info would be very helpful! thanks! :D

Bastard! I don't care where you fly into, just come! I promise I'll try to laugh at your jokes in person, if you come. :P;)

Looks like we might have a pretty sweet raffle! Just waiting for confirmation! More info as it becomes available!
~skysprite

Raffle info thus far!

-------

My Dad went to Water Boogie, and all I got was a stinkin' t-shirt... because he kept the PRO-TRACK that he won for himself!

Whoa, Nelly!!!! The Water Boogie Raffle is growing into a Beast of the Best Booty Beyond the Bosque! Check it out--YOU buy raffle tickets, YOU could get FREE stuff, like:

FREE ProTracks!!!
FREE ProDytters!!!
$50 gift certificates from Para-Gear!
50% off certificate from Velocity Sports!
50% off certificate from Wings!
30% off certificate from Performance Designs!
$75 Factory Rebate Cards from Wings!
$5 Para-Gear catalogs!
GoFast goodies!
PD t-shirts!
PD pull ups!
PD stickers & patches!
Dinner for two ($60 gift certificate) at Vivace on Central!
And even MORE to come...

What a deal at only $5 a ticket or 5 for $20! All proceeds go toward buying much needed student gear and equipment for our club. Get your raffle tickets NOW--Contact Tiffany Dyer through [pm me here] or out at the DZ. She's working hard to round up even more boogie goodies for us. Wait, is it true?!? I can win cool stuff AND help the club out?!? Get yer damn tickets and win some free stuff!!!

(Even though the raffle will be held at the Boogie Sept. 10th at Elephant Butte, you need not be present to win you dang lazy skydiver, you. If you’re not going to the boogie or won’t be there Saturday night, talk to Tiffany and she’ll work something out with you so you can still win these great prizes!)
----

All this and I'm still working on getting more great prizes! B|
~skysprite

Just got the latest email update!

-----------------

Here’s what I know so far: The Boogie fee is $25. It covers the cost of boat and airplane fuel, a concession fee, manifest’s slot and other expenses. Bring your own food, water, Gatorade, whatever; plan to be self sufficient for the whole weekend. The club is not going to provide water or Gatorade like we did last year. Bring plenty to drink, it gets very hot midday and there isn’t much shade. Glass containers are not allowed on the beach. Bring sunscreen, a wide brimmed hat, bug repellent and anything else you need to be comfortable for a hot day at the beach.

Laurie Wilson, Chris Holmes, Amanda Bolton, and a few other people celebrating their FIRSTS are chipping in for two pony kegs. Patrick said he is bringing a pony keg of Shiner. We should be good on beer, please get with Chris or Laurie if you wish to celebrate a first. They expect folks to chip in $15 which is about what a case of beer would cost you. We should offset Patrick’s cost out of that fund as well. We are going to set up a “beer garden” between manifest and the restrooms to centralize the rowdy activity, don’t camp near there if you want quiet. It would be nice if someone brought Christmas or rope lights to light that area at night. The designated “quiet area” (AKA the GZ: Geezer zone) is southeast of the road, in shelters 111-113. Please stay away from there after sunset! We will have limited electrical power at “base camp” and will have a couple of long extension cords. If you have a bug zapper, bring it. It would also be nice if anyone has a “boom box” with PA (public address) capability and a microphone.

We are going to have a “gathering” in the beer garden 8pm Saturday night to present Harvey’s student of the year award, have a brief remembrance ceremony for Don Towner and Harvey Buskirk, have the raffle drawing and pass “Jumper #1” around. Jumper #1 is a bottle of Skyy vodka that we use as a WDI (wind drift indicator) on the first load of the boogie. We chuck it out of the plane at about 500’ with a small parachute over the beach LZ. Mike Astle has agreed to provide the vodka and we may do another one Saturday morning. I think it would be more fun if everyone tells a joke before taking their sip of Jumper #1.

Mad Mac is “load organizer” for a naked bonfire jump; we’re going to streak the bonfire(s), let me know if you want a “slot.” It’s OK to wear your undies if you’re shy, I insist you wear shoes of some sort. The “bonfire jump” will be later at night after all the kids go to bed. If you have any talents you want to show off to entertain the group, you may do so at the gathering after the “formal” ceremonies.

Make sure your reserve is in date! Danny will be checking gear repack dates. He will also assist you with proper AAD settings. There is about a 250’ difference in elevation between the LZ and the airport. Your AAD must be turned on at the airport and adjusted for the elevation difference to avoid an accidental firing of your AAD. Your altimeters will not read zero when you are taking off at the airport,
set them on zero at the landing area.

The club is not trying to arrange balloon jumps. HOWEVER, several members of the Wicker Clan have expressed interest in taking jumpers up. It will be a bit too warm for them to get good lift so if it happens, you will be lucky to get 3,000’. These are very complicated jumps, especially so close to the water and you better plan them carefully! Perhaps an intentional water landing from a balloon using a static line or, a BASE type exit is the safest option. You will need to coordinate with a very good ground/water crew and all the planning is up to you. SNM instructors may advise you but don’t expect much help as we are going to be very busy.

-----------------

Also, we're getting pretty close to the boogie so unless I get a last minute donation or two, this is everything we have up for raffle!

-----------------

It's like making 15 FREE skydives... in a row... with NO PACKING...
(or having to smell someone's rotten butt fumes on the way up!!!)

FIFTEEN MINUTE BLOCKS OF TUNNEL TIME at Skyventure Colorado have just
been added to the Mound of Mouth-watering Material that could be yours
from the Water Boogie Raffle stash o' stuff! Here's what you could win:

• Tunnel Time at Skyventure Colorado!
• Pro-Tracks!
• Pro-Dytters!
• 50% off certificate from Velocity Sports!
• 50% off certificate from Wings!
• 35% off certificate from Icarus Canopies!
• 30% off certificate from Performance Designs!
• $50 gift certificates from Para-Gear!
• $75 Factory Rebate Cards from Wings!
• Closing Pin Necklaces from www.Groundrush.com!
• $5 Para-Gear catalogs!
• Go Fast goodies!
• L&B t-shirts!
• PD t-shirts!
• Dinner for two ($60 gift certificate) at Vivace on Central!
• And even MORE to come...

Raffle tickets are the "Deal-Steal of the Century" at only $5 a ticket
or 5 for $20! All proceeds go toward the purchase of much needed student gear and
equipment for our very own club.

You'd better get your raffle tickets NOW before it's too late--Water
Boogie's only TWO WEEKENDS AWAY!!! Contact Tiffany Dyer (she's been
blowing off her UNM studies just to get all this stuff together)
through [pm me here] or buy your raffle tickets out at the DZ this
weekend (because you have to pay your Boogie fee and buy jumps this
weekend, anyway). THE DZ WILL BE OPEN LABOR DAY, too, for your jumping
and raffle-ticket-purchasing convenience.

(Even though the raffle will be held at the Boogie Saturday, Sept. 10th at
Elephant Butte, you need not be present to win, you dang
soon-to-win-endless raffle prizes skydiver, you. If you’re not going to
the boogie or won’t be there Saturday night, talk to Tiffany and she’ll
work something out with you so you can still win these phenomenal
prizes!)

-----------------

One last thing to mention is we will be unable to accept credit/debit cards at the boogie! You can only pay by cash or sexual favors! ...Ermm, cash only guys, sorry. There ARE ATMs nearby at the lake but I don't know what kinda fees they charge so just keep that in mind!
~skysprite

FOR A GOOD TIME, DON’T CALL THE NUMBER ON THE STALL…

INSTEAD, GO TO WATER BOOGIE!!!

Skydive New Mexico’s annual gathering of skydivers, water, free beer, and fun is almost here. Another famous WATER BOOGIE is set to go all weekend long, from September 9th-11th.

WHO: YOU! Jumpers, non-jumpers, family, lovers, dogs (on leash), imaginary childhood
buddies, bring ‘em all!!!
WHAT: Water Boogie is SNM’s annual event where skydivers jump into water or onto the
designated beach area of New Mexico’s largest and most popular lake.
WHEN: Friday, September 9th-Sunday, September 11th. Jumping from dawn ‘till dusk from
two Cessna 182s. Some will be arriving early, on Thursday night.
WHERE: Elephant Butte State Park, Elephant Butte, NM on Lion’s Beach:
http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/nmparks/PAGES/PARKS/BUTTE/BUTTE.HTM
HOW MUCH: Boogie fee is $25, jumps are $23, admittance to the park is $8 per carload, per
night. RV hookups and camping sites are free with admittance. Electricity, public
phones, showers, and a restaurant/Inn are all on site. Select beer is free until it
runs out. Bring your own food, water/beverages, and paper or plastic dinnerware
(glass is NOT allowed in the park). We will provide several grills for your food.
PLEASE BRING CASH FOR FEES AND JUMPS!!!

End the summer not with a bang, but with a jump, fall, and swoop. Join the easiest-going group of adventure- seekers this side of the Rio Grande—join Skydive New Mexico for the best Water Boogie yet! In addition to water jumps, there’ll be a Hot Air Balloon Regatta and dragboat races, too. Hiking, fishing, and other non-skydiving activities are also available at the park for those not wanting to “jump out of a perfectly good airplane.”

We’re also holding a raffle Saturday night at 8pm to give away lots of free goodies like:

FIFTEEN minute blocks of tunnel time at Skyveture Colorado!!!
Pro-Tracks!!!
Pro-Dytters!!!
35% off certificate from Icarus Canopies
30% off certificate from Performance Designs!
$50 gift certificates from Para-Gear!
50% off certificate for a new Infinity container!
50% off certificate for a new Wings container!
30% off certificate for a new Javeline container!
$75 Factory Rebate Cards from Wings!
Closing Pin Necklaces from www.Groundrush.com!
$5 Para-Gear catalogs!
Go Fast goodies!
L&B t-shirts!
PD t-shirts!
Dinner for two ($60 gift certificate) at Vivace on Central!

Raffle tickets are available out at the DZ (505-864-7942) and will be sold at the Boogie, too. They are $5 each or 5 for $20, and all proceeds will be used to buy equipment for Skydive New Mexico.

We'll see YOU at WATER BOOGIE 2005!
~skysprite