mrbang

AFF 1/2 line twist

last saturday i got 2 jump.

AFF 1: pretty good exit, good arch, deployed main chute at 1600 meters. Just after 1 second i watched up to the chute and i got a light line twist (2 twist) but the chute was completely opened. Without panic i solved the problem and did my fist landing. Listened to radio instructions and did my job. It was perfect as my JMs and DZ directors said. Landed on my feet, standing, with no run, very smooth and soft landing, like jumping off of a chair.

AFF 2: good exit, good arch, deployed main at 1500 meters, head high and OMG another line twist (8 twist), but chute was 100% opened. Stopped the twist pulling out braces and than rotated my body. Solved. But i was pretty nervous after that so i got a bad landing on my a*s near a orchard. It was 100% soft landing and just 2 meters out of the landing area. I got a lot of problem with the radio. JMs said me: "do not think on landing, you will improve it with the time. You got a good jump, fixing AFF1 errors. Do not be scared on line twist. It will happen a lot of time again. It's good you saw that problem just on you first/second jump. It's called experience".

Next Saturday i'm going to jump for AFF3 and know i learned a few things:

0- look at the wind flag before i get on airplane.
1- when i start to deploy main chute keep my head and eyes up then put my hands on braces just after deployment so i should be able to control/stop line twist before it get hard to solve and control the chute opening status.
2- do arch just before pulling my pilot chute.
3- do not wait for radio instructions. Look at the landing area, drive to the free zone to lose altitude and do my job as i got no radio.
4- when day is pretty sunny and hot, start landing pattern at a lower altitude due to high hot air that slow down my chute falling.
5- look at the wind flag before starting landing pattern.
6- it doesn't matter where and how i'm going to land, if standing or on my a**, it's all about landing in the safest manner.
7- even if manual/handbook/JM said to don't do anything when i'm lower than 100 meters altitude, it is not the truth, it depends. I can.. ops.. i must do it if i have to save my life. Thanks to a soft (but fast) 90 left turn at 10meters altitude i saved my a*s from a thousand of trees! Veterans instructors and JMs approved that.

Can't wait to get AFF3 so i can fix AFF2 problems!!!

beers!!
Matt

>>>put my hands on braces just after deployment so i should be able to control/stop line twist

Please discuss this with your Instructors. They may have instruction about preventing your hands from getting caught in the twists which would prevent your ability to perform emergency procedures.

Your first two dives sound like most. Welcome to skydiving and have fun.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

mrbang

when day is pretty sunny and hot, start landing pattern at a lower altitude due to high hot air that slow down my chute falling.

I was taught to always start my landing pattern at the same altitude but to adjust where you enter your pattern. You should discuss this with your instructors before your next jump.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

BIGUN

>>>put my hands on braces just after deployment so i should be able to control/stop line twist

Please discuss this with your Instructors. They may have instruction about preventing your hands from getting caught in the twists which would prevent your ability to perform emergency procedures.

Your first two dives sound like most. Welcome to skydiving and have fun.

+1

Most line twists are from less than good deployment form. Review that with your instuctors and watch for where you are having issues. You should know now that simple line twists should not get you excited. They will soon disappear as you get better.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

A couple thoughts: (discuss these with your instructors before trying them for real)

Line twists on student canopies are usually a minor annoyance. Grabbing the risers during deployment usually isn't the best idea. It will do very little to stop the twists. Paying attention to your body position will do the most to stop the twists. And it's been shown that pulling outward on the risers (braces) is less effective than pushing them inward.

The "high hot air" actually makes you come down faster, not slower. It's less dense and doesn't support you as well.

I don't agree with the "Do nothing under 100 meters." I was taught do only do minor corrections. Any significant control inputs are a bad idea, but I was taught (with a rather docile student canopy) that pulling the toggle no lower than my shoulder and holding the turn no more than 90 degrees was acceptable. It's the hard turns that are held too long that get the canopy diving towards the ground.

Landing on your ass is never a good idea. Ever.
Learn to do a PLF and learn it well. Be ready to do one on every jump. It can save you from serious injury.

Congrats on your first 2 jumps and I hope you continue. :)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

The "high hot air" actually makes you come down faster, not slower. It's less dense and doesn't support you as well.

True. However, at my home DZ we often see high density altitude combined with rising thermals.... jumpers under lightly loaded canopies can take FOREVER to descend. This can create serious problems with students' landing patterns carrying them into obstacles because their forward speed continues, despite little doward speed.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

mrbang

0- look at the wind flag before i get on airplane.

ALWAYS a good idea. I personally try to spend at least 5 minutes before each jump to figure out how the winds are, and what that means for my flight plan. If I don't know the points for my downwind, base and final leg, and don't know my playing area before I get on the plane, it makes it much more difficult in the air.

For you, my advice would be to try and figure those things out before asking an instructor to give feedback on your plan. By going through the thinking yourself, rather than mindlessly remembering what someone else told you, you'll learn much faster how to set up such a flight plan.