phil6086

First reserve ride

while jumping at x-keys today second jump of the day jump # 58 I experienced a spining mal that resulted in being cut away and under reserve between 1200 and 1600'. exit altitude was 13500. Solo sit fly couldn't get stable had flipped to belly by 8500 hung out until 3500 deployed and opened by 2900. noticed a 3 line twist been here before with even worst twist got out of a 6 line twist few months back so no biggy. reched risers started to bicycle at first seemed to undue then more twists appeared. Risers started becoming to tight around helmet and then the main dove hard to the right decided not recoverable could not see handles due to risers tightening around helmet. Felt cutaway handle while same time locating reserve handle tried single handle cutaway forgot to peel and pull so two hands on cutaway and got it cutaway found reserve handle and rsl deployed reserve without pulling handle. Opened between 1200 and 1600 landed standing up which suprised me. Possible premature brake release. find out maybe when main and free bag our taken out of trees

Good job on saving yourself & BEER for the 1st reserve ride (plus a fine bottle to your rigger). One question: Did you continue your pull of the silver handle even though your RSL (and you were apparently aware of it) had "beaten" you? Or did you instead just leave that stowed from there?

I'll reserve any follow-up thoughts/potential further questions based upon your answer.

Thanks for sharing with us!
BSBD,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

No. Found out from Mark that I should've pulled the reserve handle which I will do next time.

Why should you have to pull the reservehandle if you know the RSL pulled the reserve out already?

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

No. Found out from Mark that I should've pulled the reserve handle which I will do next time.

Why should you have to pull the reservehandle if you know the RSL pulled the reserve out already?

'Cause you should complete your reserve procedure. (I didn't my first time, either, but should have).

Never depend on the RSL, always pull your handles yourself and finish the procedure.

ciel bleu,
Saskia