miniFly

Question regarding first canopy WL

Hi,
I want to demo a sabre 2 since I have found a
great deal for my first rig/canopy at a decent price.
So far only have 27 jumps and have used student
gear, just jumped a rental PD210 3 times last week, on my first jump on the 210 I flared to high because I wasn't expecting the speed increase (a few scars to show for it), especially coming from jumping 260's student gear, my other 2 jumps where perfect standup landing and I seemed to have found the right amount of flare.

Question is, do you think this would be a safe canopy
for just 27 jumps?, My wingloading on it would be 1.13 assuming I have 25 pounds of gear,

What I mean is just how forgiven would this canopy be? since I'm bound to make some beginer mistakes.

Thanks for the help :)

I'm no expert by any means, but I think 1.13 is pushing it more than I'd like to see somebody with 27 jumps. Again, I'm not an expert, and there are other things to consider besides wing-loading. Talk to your instructors, experienced jumpers on the DZ, the DZO and S&TA. See what they have to say.
I got nuthin

Hey thanks,

Yeah, I'll be asking the instructors too and actually
John LeBlanc who is going to be at Elsinore tonight.

I was hoping that maybe somebody has gone through the same when purchasing the first rig and would have first hand experience :)

I relate completely (in fact, checking up on your profile, I also live in HB, right in your Zip code). I've just started back from a long layoff and am trying to get my flare act together again. I know at Perris you can rent Sabre2 demos up to 210 ft, but you can also get a 230 Spectre, which is what I'm using, at least for now. My exit weight with gear is probably 240, so I'm loading at about 1.05, but even when I screw up I don't thump it too bad - and I'm getting old. Before I buy anything I'm going to try the Sabres and the 210 size, but not until I've got my act together with the 230. And if I end up just being an old fart with a big 7 cell, I'll still be doing things in freefall and to me that's what it's all about anyway.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

:)
Visit with John and I'm sure he will provide some insight. The wing loading you are talking about is not to much for a person with 27 jumps if you are comfortable with the speed at that wing loading. Try the canopy out but, first search for an experienced ( I mean truly experienced, not just an "expert") canopy pilot and prepare yourself for the "speed" you will experience. It's all a matter of reference in relation to the speed comfort zone you have. Have fun, be safe and, have fun!

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

A couple of things that the sabre2 is going to do for you that you haven't yet experienced is the flare. It will be more sensitive in both timing and balance from side to side.
The blanket statement that a sabre2 is a fine canopy just off student status needs to be buffered with for those jumpers who are not having trouble pulling one toggle more than the other during the flare. Something that would be more forgiving on a seven cell ( excluding the diablo ). There is enough taper to this canopy to give newer jumpers landing trouble.
Once a jumper has this awareness the sabre2 rocks as a fun canopy that flies and opens great.