Raistlin

Spanish DZ choice question

I can't compare them, since I've never been to the other DZ you mention, but I did my AFF at Empuriabrava, and have been back there 5 times in 2 years. From AFF upwards, they have excellent coaching available (I did Skydive U there, and more recently had FF coaching from Babylon). The facilities are excellent, the staff are friendly (especially the manifest girls, even after the thousandth stupid question of the day!). Empuriabrava itself has plenty going on.

Disadvantage is the Tramontana, a local wind which effectively halts skydiving, possibly for days at a time. Hire a motorbike, catch up on your reading/sleeping/drinking, visit the Dali museum in Figueras, go skiing; don't do what I do and sit at the DZ!

John

Was on holiday in Barcelona and saw that Empuriabrava was a mere 1.5 hour drive away so I took a day to go there---

Empuriabrava was outstanding. DZ staff was friendly, helpful, and professional--- I swear everyone on the staff spoke 5 languages (luckily for me, on of the languages was english)

Going to a DZ only for a day, I figgered I'd end up doing a few solo's and going home, but the people funjumping there were very friendly and I was doing 2way sit flies after only 1 solo (solo was by choice---new DZ familiarization jump)

The planes fly constantly---loads were easy to get on.

DZ brief was throrough, paperwork was easy to fill out and process was fast.

Landing area is big enough---even when winds are not favorable...

They do have wind limits for jumpers and they announce them (50, 100, 200, 500 jumps if I remember correctly--- but the winds only grounde 50 jumpers when I was there) the wind for 50 jump limit was pretty light, but I think it had more to do with wind direction than strength in this incident.

There are plenty of outs, but I didn't see anyone land out.

I loved it... go there!

Yup, thanks everybody for the replies. I am meeting an ancient friend of mine and taking her for a tandem...so I am not looking to jump all day long. Still, it's probably going to be Empuria if we make it Friday or the weekend, and someplace closer if we do it on a weekday...
I just hope the tandem master guy lets me hold hands with her in freefall, just to get in the picture :)

go to empuriabrava now! i am a complete novice having just completed AFF and my consolidation jumps there but i have nothing bad to say about the place. being new to this sport, i obviously felt a little uneasy.....for about 30 minutes. met some great people there. the instructors are some of the best in the world and yet not at all full of themselves. basically they cannot do enough for you. the loads are very frequent and people were moaning when they had to wait more than 20 minutes to go back up. now apparently that's not bad! the pro shop is well stocked and the staff more than willing to advise. cheers gary. the weather is great yet the wind can be a pain. you'll probably get lucky. but hey, there's a great pool, bar, cafe and a resort town on the doorstep. i highly recommend it! GO NOW!

I just hope the tandem master guy lets me hold hands with her in freefall, just to get in the picture :)

this will depend on your level, maybe try and go fly with the person who will be th etandem master so he can judge if he lets you dock the tandem...
Would be a good idea to fill in your profile too.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM