Jclende795

Florida dropzones

First off if you are planning on traveling to another dropzone away from home you will need a license. Most dropzones will not let an unlicensed jumper just make a jump. You would need to probably go through their training program in order to jump. This is just my experience from my home DZ. Good luck to you and blue ones.

Patrick

Even if you bring your log book. The issue most DZ's look at is now they have a student who is new to them and is looking at a new landing area, gear, and staff. To keep your learning curve at it's best i would recommend staying with one dropzone till done with student status.

This is my three cents. I work as a packer and coach at my DZ and have talked to students who are wanting to change DZ's. Some are more than prepared to come and work with us but some are so far behind it's scary. Not saying you are behind.

Either way most DZ's that i know of are not big fans of students moving around. But i may be wrong. Give them a ring and ask. Then you willl know for sure. Good luck on the whole thing.

Patrick

Either way most DZ's that i know of are not big fans of students moving around. But i may be wrong. Give them a ring and ask. Then you willl know for sure. Good luck on the whole thing.

I was a student at a total of 5 different dropzones over the course of 4 years and never ran into a DZ that wasn't glad to see me as a student. All of them moved me backwards in training and put me through some level of ground school though.

I think it mostly comes down to how confident the instructor feels about you during retraining.

But to Ryan, I don't know if any DZ in Florida does IAD or SL, which means you'd have to train for AFF(full ground school) and start with an AFF level 1 jump. If you plan on going back up to KY to finish your student status, SL to AFF to SL might not transition very well so any jumps you did down here might not count towards your student progression(your instructors at home would be the ones to ask about this).

If you only want to make 1 or 2 jumps you might look into doing tandems, it'd be cheaper than AFF, would require no training, and I found doing a tandem after being a former SL student to help my freefall awareness.