borisattva

hello from nyc

hello folks,

i have been searching the yellow pages and the internet for a couple of days, and i cant seem to find any skydiving schools around NYC that would offer the AFF non-tandem as the first jump.

all the schools try to use the "you dont have to waste a day training for your first jump" as the selling perk. well the thing for me is, i dont care how long i spend in ground school and if there is an army of instructors falling along side me as a safety precaution, i just want me very first jump to be my own accomplishment. i dont want to be a passive piece of luggage 'luggage' attached to someone else doing the work.

some nearby schools i found, require atleast one tandem jump prior. one school http://www.frontierskydivers.com/ offers the AFF as the first jump, but its almost 7 hours drive each way.
too far.

can anyone suggest an closer alternative school/instructor?

thanks for your time.

Having prior military jump experience (static line) I felt the same way about having to jump strapped to another person. May I suggest biting the bullet as I did and make the tandem at least for the sake of cutting down on travel time. It will definitely expand your choices as to where you may jump and cut the travel time to about an hour. There are many places close to NYC as I am sure you have already found. Especially with the questionable weather we have had in this area, you may drive all that distance and not even get into the air.
In addition, tandems offer an excellent training opportunity, as more qualified jumpers could tell you, especially for someone who hasn't been in the air before. Good Luck either way.

Facebook

From someone who finally bit the bullet two days ago - the one thing I can offer is this: it's hard to predict how you will feel when you are up in the air. I went through a spectrum of terrified to death moments to I'm completely at peace with the universe moments to Hey, not only do I want to jump first but I hope my instructor does even some spins with me. When the door opened I was completely ready to go, but the next forty seconds I felt again a wide spectrum of feelings to the point that I even thought I couldn't breathe when in reality I forgot to breathe - as a human whose breathing is supposed to be an autonomic function.

I truly thought it was an inforgettable day, but the one thing I didn't expect was to forget in the beginning some things my instructor told me - as simple as arching your back and keeping your head up. Everything is happening so fast and so intensely and it's nothing - nothing- like I've ever felt before that when the canopy opened, my first thought was I can't imagine doing this on my own. And again, that doesn't mean I won't eventually do it on my own, but for the first time taking such a risk and never having experienced it, I couldn't have been more thankful for my instructor taking care of everything. I couldn't have imagined having to check the altimeter and worry about my position and steer and land.

It's an accomplishment for just having gone. B|

I totally agree with freemis on this one. I did my 1st tandem a week ago. I had wanted to do all the things my TM told me, but I was in total brain overload once I was up there. It went by so fast as it was, I can't imagine if I'd had to actually check the alititude, my heading, pull the cord, steer the chute and find my landing. I know I enjoyed it much more having him do the driving. And I still don't even remember most of it! (I have to watch the video to relive it.) Of course, now I am dying to go back up and do it again! But I still want to do a couple more tandems before I do a solo. I want to get more comfortable in freefall so when I do the solo I can be focused on what I need to do.
I think even with a million hours of ground school, nothing will prepare you for the feelings of freefall and having all that noise and pressure in your face and against your body. Do a tandem first just to experience freefall, then you'll be much more prepared to handle yourself on the solo.

Good luck! You're gonna love it!! :)

thanks for the responce guys.

i understand the pro-tandem points of view. but i just know myself too well :D
if i go tandem first, no matter how many jumps i do solo afterwards, i will alwasys have it on the back of my head that my FIRST solo jump wasnt actually my first jump etc and so on.i would definitely regret it.

plus the additinal responsibility and seriousnes of the first solo jump will boost the personal satisfaction over the accomplishment.

well anyways, ive gotten a couple new recommendations which i will be investigating over the next week. if there are more send em my way.
thanks again :D

have to agree with the others advice!!!!!
but, try skydivenjshore. they are awesome! :)
it is 1 hour from nyc. you can see the skyline from the air. :)
don't know if they will go along with your plan though.....:P
ask for kevin! :)good luck
Play with your children.....it's the best investment you'll ever make.
www.discoverytoyslink.com/amysbluesky

Yeah --- I know, but he said he wanted non-Tandem AFF. Hindshight tells me that I would have rather learned without the Tandem if I had taken the time to research training methods, etc.
It wouldn't hurt you to think like a fucking serial killer every once in a while - just for the sake of prevention

Hello,
I suggest you check out Freefall Adventures at Skydive Cross Keys. Our preferred training method is tandem progression, as it gets you used to freefall and especially canopy control in a true hands-on manner with first-hand instructor guidance the whole way down. Believe me, tandem does not take away from the experience.

If you are absolutely determined to make an AFF jump your first skydive, then we do still make this program available. You would start with the ground school and (weather permitting ;)) make your first jump that same day. Please call us and explain your situation.

We are located in Southern New Jersey, about 2 hours from Manhattan. Please also feel free to visit any of the drop zones you are considering, talk with their instructors, and watch some skydives. The more info you have, the better decision you will make!!

Blue Skies,
Pancake