chuteless

activating chute HIGH

This lady was really no body's student. She had made a few jumps and was generally accepted at dropzones as somewhat capable, but badly in need of advuice...advice she would not readily accept. The sunday before her death (1 week) I spoke to her at a dropzone (the weatherwas foul) and told her that it would be berst if she gave up jumping, that she was not cut out for it. She got quite mad, and suggested I say it to her lawyer. I replied that I would say it to anyone if it would help her to stop jumping. The following Friday, I mentioned to another jumper, remember the name. M..M..R.because she was going to die soon. Two days later...she did just that. Most DZ owners at that time ( hopefully n not mow) would take her money, cross their fingers, and let her do her jump. It came out later that she had packed her Paracommander the night before with the aid of a flashlight. The truth is, she couldnt pack right in the brightest sunshine..let alone at night with a flashlight. What a damn shame....she is allowed to go on...and nonone seemed able to do anything to stop her. Just for the record, she also was in the aircraft once saying she was going to practice water landing procedure, and sit on the saddle till landing. Another guy noticed she had a "split saddle" and told her she was not to do anything of the kind. He knew if she did, she'd slip out the bottom of the harness leaving the whole rig behind her. You know, even talking about this now...bother me a lot. It hurts me big time...I've seen so much death in jumping and aviation... I never seem to get the hurt out of me. regards, BILL

This incident was most likely in the days when students were, in fact, taught sometimes that they could slip the lines off the canopy in the event of a lineover, and way before the Cypres.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

This woman was killed in Oct 1975, on her 108th jump. I dont recall anyone ever telling a jumper they can slip a line off from over their canopy. M R R didnt have anything like a line over. Her main was completely fouled up, nothing but a mess of tangled lines, and she spent her last moments trying to untangle them. BILL

This incident was most likely in the days when students were, in fact, taught sometimes that they could slip the lines off the canopy in the event of a lineover, and way before the Cypres.

Wendy W.

This comment reminds me of a jumper we have now , Big John. Big John came to us with 90 round jumps(military). He had good enough exits and was very on the ball. So do to the shortage of freefall instructors at the time he went, clear and pull. On one such hop n' pop(maybe 5 sec delay) his body flight left something to be desired and gave himself a mal on a manta(very slow speed). He played with it a wile and cut away at normal altitude and opened his reserve( I'm sure the RSL was faster...but he did pull for himself). Now he has not learned much about stable body position between exit and cutaway
of the main....he gets a line over on the round reserve!(Wow...that's like a double mal). So he is now descending at a reasonable rate under a May West....wait what's this...half of the reserve canopy now collapses! It re-inflates and does it 2 more times! Big john had just cleared his line over on his reserve via his military training....cool! I would have left it alone....but that's just me.
....mikeB|
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

Off landings are dangerous as well and opening higher helps to avoid them. I'm usually under canopy around 2800' and have had 1 off landing.

Think first! If the wind is hard and you are on the short, it might happan you wont make it.

Anyway, In out club it is required to start opening over 1000m for a student, because of FXC.

Safe landings.

I totally agree that 1000 meters is where a student should open, until they get enough experience and warrant other considerations. In building experience, they also have to build confidence and most importantly, "understanding" of all the implications of the different types of problems that can catch them at an unsuspecting moment. Good for your club, friend. Bill Cole