spedbus

jumping russia

Now thats what i am talking about man!! Im taking the whole of July in russia...so you reckon the wind tunnel and the hot showers will be ready then?

Oh and might sound like a silly question but what sort of temperatures am i expecting to play with at that time?

Does the wind tunnel have a web page?

I love dorps!!!!!! (beer)

Aerograd Kolomna made 45 (or 47?) loads this Sunday. How many loads were made in Borki ?
-------------
Why, only about 28 (30? I left way early that day) :P

Re the weahter, if it isn't a total bitch, expect something in 60 to 85 F range... July is normally quite scorching, June may vary.

so you reckon the wind tunnel and the hot showers will be ready then?

I'm not sure, but that were the news I heard on the DZ. On 9-10th May I'll ask DZO about showers and wind tunnel and post here more precise info. There were a lot of workers on 1-4 May (will be ready to the end of May), setting up second LARGE packing tent and some small houses (not sure, but looks like kind of shower boxes).

Wind tunnel has a web page, www.windtunnel.ru, but it is in Russian (guess why :P)

Oh and might sound like a silly question but what sort of temperatures am i expecting to play with at that time?

That depends. When the sun shines, temperature is about +30 C in the shadow. On a rainy day, +20 C is expected. I believe there won't be cold days in July.

In May, hmm, these days were already warm enough, +25 C. But cyclone may come, +10 - +12 C, and rain all the time. This web page http://www.gismeteo.ru/towns/27625.htm may give some rough predictions, but they may mispredict something.

Wind tunnel has a web page, www.windtunnel.ru, but it is in Russian (guess why :P)

Damn so dont say i didnt try.....but my Russian failed me completely there! So why dont you just tell us in about 5 lines in brief what the web page says? (key points eg..availabilty...courses...instructors...costs...bookings...possibility of seeing naked women etc?

Thanks buddy!!

I love dorps!!!! (beer)

i don't speak russian, but altavista has a pretty cool russian-english translation tool ;)

anyway, from what i understand, there isnt a lot of info on that website, mainly the story behind the tunnel, who builds it and why.
couldn't find any rates or procedures, but i could have missed it...

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

how's the safety issues there ?
i'm talking about things like gear checks, spots, exit order/seperation etc.

in some DZs i've been you can pretty much do whatever you want while in some DZs the staff keeps things in order.
we might be planning a trip to kolomna in the summer and i guess it will be pretty busy then...
the Mi-8 looks fun ;)

O

how's the safety issues there ?

Not sure about Borki, but in Kolomna stuff really keeps thing in order. S&TA is watching over you ;)
Gear checks, hmm, sometimes S&TA himself does pin check (especially for newer jumpers that really NEED it), but usually other skydivers help each other with the checks. Spots: never had bad one, GPS works fine and pilots are real professionals. Well, I saw one load landing on the other side of the river, then I saw Mi-8 helicopter going for them (wherever skydiver may land, Mi-8 may land also;))
S&TA watches every load going to plane (last line check), he also says who goes first, who goes then and who finishes. So, exit order is known to all jumpers on the load. Every jumper/group of jumpers should remember the one who jumps before him/them. Separation, well, wait some seconds before you go after some formation, others will do the same after you. In some special cases (8-way or bigger) one of the instructors onboard will slow the next jumper down until it is safe to jump.

we might be planning a trip to kolomna in the summer and i guess it will be pretty busy then...

Yes, it will be. Especially on weekends, you may expect a large crowd.

the Mi-8 looks fun

It is the best flying machine I ever jump from! Inside the Mi-8 even tall jumper may stand straight and his head will not touch the roof. There is a place for a little stadium inside the helicopter. It has a good heater (oh, Mi-8 was the warmest place in winter!), well, there won't be need in that in July. It climbs really FAST, even faster that LET-410. It operates smooth, mostly I event cannot say are we standing at the ground or we already climbing.

About the wind tunnel: I saw it operating, but tests showed it is not ready to take skydivers. Rumors say it will be ready in June, but one should take that with grain of salt. Price will be US$250 for an hour. You'll never see any naked woman in the tunnel, but you may try to find some outside, summer is going to be hot ;)

thanks, i really hope we'll be able to make it ;)

Well, I saw one load landing on the other side of the river, then I saw Mi-8 helicopter going for them

hmm, can we do it on purpose? :ph34r:

how about high alti jumps?
i know in some places you could organize the whole load to pay an extra $ or two and get higher.

and crowds are fun, drunk crowds even better B|

O

hmm, can we do it on purpose?

You can. But I'm not sure which decision S&TA will make, he is not that stupid ;)
One can see other jumpers cars going for skydivers landed far from airfield more often. Helicopter usually goes for skydivers landed on the ther side of Oka river.

how about high alti jumps?

Yes, they can be organized for some extra $. But all aircrafts and chopper are not equipped with oxygen, so one should not even think of really high altitude. Standard is 4.000 meters, up to 5.000 without oxygen (higher will be too dangerous).

drunk crowds even better

:o

thanks, i really hope we'll be able to make it ;)

I swear...i think getting the visa is proving to be a tall order. its giving me like sleepless nights already.

Im trying to go for a full month there....was wishing that wind tunnel would have been ready..but...hey...we can just do it the old fashioned way...IN THE AIR!

I swear...i think getting the visa is proving to be a tall order. its giving me like sleepless nights already.

really? do you know why?
i didnt think it would be such a big deal...

O

If you go onto the Aerograd web page they put forward Eyevista as the dudes who could assist with the support letters. Anyways i tried going through that channel and was shot down point blank: quote "We do not offer this service to Zimbabweans"..alas...but after i finish sulking this afternoon i will hit the trail again.

There must be a way in..and the Aerograd dudes dont answer their emails...or yet after about a month and a half.

It sounds like it was going to be good humour.