skybytch

an ethical question

Just my 0.02c worth...

When I began looking for new gear (I weigh 58kg, 1.6m) I had a lot of people telling me what I should get. I decided on a 170. One of my JM's/Instructor told me to get a 135. At this point I only had about 30 jumps and didn't feel very comfortable with this choice. I know have about 20 jumps on the 170 and still feel that I'm not flying her, rather that she's flying me.
I will downsize to a 150 when I feel that I'm in control of my 170.

My point is that the instructor or whatever, isn't always right. I would've made a big mistake buying the 135. And that the jumper should jump what he/she's comfortable with.

And if you have a big ego.... OUCH

Gene Police: "YOU!! Out of the pool, NOW!!!"

I think it's smart to go bigger rather than smaller when you don't have many jumps. I know I put 400 jumps on a PD 210 (and I weigh about the same as you) and I made some very stupid moves under than canopy. If I had been under something smaller, I probably would have hurt myself. As it was, I got away with it.

Now I jump a Sabre2 135, and I love it. But it is definitely not the forgiving canopy I had in my early jumping days. For you, a 170 is perfectly fine.

People who counsel others to go smaller are usually just not thinking of the learning curve. They already learned it (maybe) and forget that others haven't. In skydiving, this is a dangerous trend, but I don't think it's done out of malice, just ignorance. Which kills people just as dead as malice aforethought.

DJan

Changing the topic slightly, in the light of a recently published book.

A person who has serious physical and/or perceptual deficiencies wants to become a skydiver. Many observers believe that this person is a serious accident looking for somewhere to happen. What should the instructors do? Provide the training and look away, or recommend against the training (and their own and the DZ's income)?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>I will downsize to a 150 when I feel that I'm in control of my 170.

Yes, it is much smarter to learn about canopy flying first.

There is always time to go smaller later when you know
enough to have an opinion.

Also, canopy flying is only partly about toggle technique.
There is also the large scale stuff about thinking ahead
and winds and other jumpers and how to fly a pattern
and so on.

I wrote a thing called Wings Level that you might find helpful.
It's at http://indra.net/~bdaniels/ftw/index.html#learning
It's part of a folder of stuff we give our new jumpers.

Flying a canopy is not particularly simple, there are a zillion
variables and circumstances, and it takes some dedicated
effort over a couple hundred jumps to start sorting it out.

It's worth the effort though.

Skr

It depends on the "serious physical and/or perceptual deficiencies." The is at least one totally blind skydiver who does solos.

Such that many observers believe this person is an accident looking for somewhere to happen.

If you want to look at it another way, at what point do physical and cognitive deficits require that an ethical instructor advise an individual against becoming a skydiver although it means loss of business?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.