tattooed249

Newbie Question

Ok, I made that post a poll. Sorry. I have never been skydiving, but I am really interested in starting. My question is, what would be the process for an ex-paratrooper to begin skydiving? I already have some static line jumps, do those count at all towards training? I am sorry if it is a dumb question, but I am so hyped about skydiving, and I have never done anything but statics. Thank you.

Same as the normal process; decide on AFF vs AFP vs static line and take the course. In many places you'll be able to skip levels if you have jumping experience beforehand; it all depends on how fast you absorb the new material. I've noticed that paratrooper training can actually work against you, since you are often trained to do exactly the wrong thing (i.e. exit legs together clutching your chest-mount reserve.)

hey I was a marine who went to army airborne school and it is completely different! I have 72 static line jumps, I know not many compared to a army unit and well I really kinda hated it. but I have found a new love for it. my body sure loves it more too!!

Tattooed: We see a lot of you bloaks that transition to freefall. Your first jump course includes all the same stuff as anyone else, you just learn a different exit position from static line(and why), a few changes in the aircraft emergency procedures, and we rarely need to do any training in a PLF (parachute landing fall). Usually you guys can outdo any civilian jumper on a PLF. Your number of jumps can count, but not toward meeting your TLO's (Targeted Learning Objectives). We'd love to see you in Raeford if in the area. blue skies (SkyMonkeyOne's boss at Raeford :ph34r:), Kate

As an ex-Army Ranger with plenty of statics under my belt I don't think Army jumps suck they have a diferent purpose. Most of my military jumps were from between 500'-600' AGL, in order to get you on the ground fast before you get shot. While still fun (to me) not ment as a sport or form of entertainment. And since the equipment (military static with rounds) is nothing like current modern skydiving\parachuting you need to be trained to the equipment you are going to use and the type of jump done (higher altitude and freefall). If a current skydiver has a rip cord activated rig and transitions to a BOC (bottem of container throw out) they need additiona training as well.

Robert

Robert, I did enjoy my jumps in the 82nd, fun, yes, but full combat PLF's weren't my idea of "fun". Thank you for the replies, I admit i have much to learn. Kate, do you mean Raeford, as in North Carolina? I used to be stationed at Fort Bragg, but now I am in Lexington NC. I am not to sure about the location of Raeford. Hopefully within the next few months, I can be there to join you.