rapper4mpi

Traveling w/ My Rig, post trip update!

Well, I just got back from a week at Skydive Sebastian in Florida. Here's how traveling with my rig went. First, I decided to ship my rig via FedEx from Vermont to Florida, insured for $6,000. This was easy, and only cost $40 and that included a receiving fee from Mail Boxes Etc...
I decided to try and carry my rig on the airplane for the return flights. (I have a Cypres). I had no problem in West Palm Beach OR Boston (Logan). Security didn't even flinch.
My friends carried there rigs down and back (no Cypres). Again, no problem in Burlington, VT, or through both security check points in Boston (gates changed). However one friend did encounter problems in Boston, connecting to Washinton, DC (different flight) and had to gate check his rig, but other than that, very smooth.
-Rap

The "Of course you never know" was acknowledging that mistakes can happen, and eliminating any possible room for error is smart. I agreed with you from the start. Enough, I wasn't intending this thread to be a discussion, but rather an update on my travel experiences, which many people had requested I do so.
Thanks for your input.
-Rap

I personally don't like the idea of stuff tied around the reserve handle... No matter how careful you are, it's just one more thing that can really ruin your day.

I don't like additional stuff either, but I disagree with "no matter how careful you are". Things tied to the reserve handle are really no different than anything else that needs checking (eg. arming a Cypres), IMO. Do it right and no problem; forget it and it could bite. I'm very aware of such things as I jump neither an RSL or a Cypres.

I picked up a big red "Remove Before Flight" streamer I'm planning to zip-tie to/with my reserve handle for airline transport purposes only. If some TSA goon pulls my rig out of the gearbag by the reserve handle and that bad boy deploys, I'm going to have a really bad day and probably won't be on my scheduled flight. I'm hoping the RBF streamer will prevent that from occurring.

Bob

i heard of a guy that wire tied his reserve handle to keep it from getting pulled during airline flight. his rigger found it on there like 2 weeks after he had gotten back from a boogie....SCARY

Here's to the Breezes that blows through the Trezzez.....