GroundRush1

Ground rush daydream...

First of all, I want to thank everyone for all of the initial cutaway input I asked about, has been very helpful. I planning on harrassing the instructors about it until I know the fine details.

Im the one who had the bad experience on a second static line jump, and didnt know whether to continue skydiving. Well, I did a tandem-2 jump at another DZ (Eloy), and found it pretty relaxing. I had to wonder where the adrenaline went! Found myself daydreaming, with the cool air rushing past on a hot day, view over the moutains fantastic, lost altitude awareness, so the instructor had to throw the ripcord.

After three previous simulations, I couldnt find the ripcord! I was all over the place trying to feel for it and wasnt finding it. Im probably going to have to do two more tandem-2 jumps before Im confident enough on that end, before continuing on with AFF.
Everything else went fine, was complemented on a great exit, hard arch, stable position all the way down. That comes from my 2nd static line jump, where I had my chest out but waist in, causing me to flip forward twice on a static line. He said I arched so hard during this last one that I almost broke his back. You learn from experience, right?

Need advice on finding the ripcord a little qucker, any suggestions? He told me I was not keeping my hand flat while lookig for it, I wasnt aware of that. I sure would hate to have to do a cutaway for that reason.

Its funny, that first tandem was horrfying, this last one, I was expecting this wild ground rush, so I was totally nervous going up. When I was hanging out on the bar, Im thinking, Im totally okay with this, no problem. After exiting and rolling into position, Im thinking, "big deal", I just totally relaxed, maybe a little too much, and was having a great time dropping. This time, it seemed a lot more like floating.

I have to keep telling myself during these next ones, "youre not floating, youre dropping, dont forget the ripcord". Got more work to do on finding the ripcord and keeping altitude awareness.

No problem, skydiving is skydiving, and its all fun, cant wait till next Sunday!

Key is "muscular memory" - just practise your ripcord pull on the ground (both with and without gear on) again and again and again. You will be surprised how much easier it becomes. Same goes for emergency procedures.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

Not to be a stickler but "When I was hanging out on the bar, Im thinking, Im totally okay with this, no problem." Were you drinking before jumping?

Maybe I just think about drinking too much...

;):)

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

No man, its relaxing, right along with rock climbing and balancing yourself on the tip of a rock on the edge of a 2000 ft cliff, do that every weekend and wouldnt miss it for anything.

Hanging out on that bar is alot like that, but you have something to hold on to, like skydiving it requires no sense of balance.

You dont need to drink to have fun!!! You may need to driink if you get too sore from doing things like that.

Theyll have to invent the SWI, then the parachute cops who swoop down on you with a ticket pad and a breathalyzer. Then youll have those people who try to cutaway to try to outrun them.

This could be the beginning of a new TV series:

ParaCops...whatcha gonna do when they dive at you...

Its funny, that first tandem was horrfying, this last one, I was expecting this wild ground rush, so I was totally nervous going up.

actually, you shouldn't be nervous about the ground rush... I think I've read somewhere that the human eye can't focus on things farther than like 4000 feet away. This means that you won't see the ground rushing towards you until below 4K. And I hope you aren't still in freefall in a tandem below 4000, because ground rush will be the least of your problems... hahaha

anyways keep practicing your ripcord pulls... try closing your eyes while you practice, it seemed to help me remember where it was.

MB 3528, RB 1182