Seth1

Central Illinois Skydivers...back in the day

Excellent news! Now for another trick question (let's see if I can get this worked into the same thread).

I cannot remember what kind plane BC had back then. It was yellow and would have seated three or so but the seats were removed for divers. The interesting thing was that the door swung up under the wing. I think that this was the original design of the plane. He called it the "Killer Bee" (as I recall) and I think he also used it when he was checking pipelines.

Any guesses as to what kind of plane this was? I had it in my head that it was some kind of Cessna, but I could be wrong.

Bonus points for anyone who can give me contact info for BC. I did a few jumps with him near Champaign nearly 20 years ago (Sidney, Seymour, or Savoy...one of those S burgs, I think.)

- Seth!

I suspect that the paint job may have been non-original. I think it looked like a Cessna 182. The vintage was probably late 1960's to mid 1970's. I don't know if they made a 182 then. (Obviously I know nothing about planes--yet.)

I suspect that the paint job may have been non-original. I think it looked like a Cessna 182. The vintage was probably late 1960's to mid 1970's. I don't know if they made a 182 then. (Obviously I know nothing about planes--yet.)

It was a Cessna 182.

trolling??? >:(:(

It was a Cessna 182.

trolling??? >:(:(

Smooth, thank you for the answer...I think. I'm not sure why you would suggest that I am trolling. I don't think that any of these questions are out of line in a skydiving forum. And I certainly haven't started any arguments.

I did a few jumps back when I was in college. Now that two decades have gone by, I figured it's about time that I wrote a little bit about my experience. I don't have a log, so I'm going entirely by memory.

The jumps themselves I remember well (actually there is one that I cannot recall at all) but some of the details like the make of the plane were lost. At the time it didn't seem important.

Ideally, I would like to get in touch with BC just to say howdy and also see if he can help me fill in some blanks. Plus it would be fun to know what he has been up to since then.

Once I get it all written, I'll include a link here for anyone interested in reading it.

- Seth!

I didn't know there were ever drop zones in Sidney, Seymour, or Savoy... but then again, I've only been jumping for a couple of years. There's Willard airport in Savoy (University property... no jumping allowed) and Frasca in Urbana (glider club I think, but no skydiving), but the closest DZ here I knew about was Rantoul (now they moved to Paxton, though).

Marc in Champaign