CanuckInUSA

First skydiving injury and I didn't even crash?

Well today it appears that I suffered my first (yes I know beer) significant skydiving injury. And the weirdest part is that I didn't even crash on my landing. It was on my third jump of the day and I was doing a hop n'pop due to an ever increasing low ceiling (I can't believe tandems were paying full fare for 7500 foot jumps). Anyway, myself and another more experienced dude were doing a hop n'pop and the winds went from moderately low to pretty much non existent while we were landing (historically I like no wind days). And the funny thing is that this other dude biffed his landing and as far as I could tell, he didn't hurt himself. And then seconds later I followed in on my front risers, flared and had to run it out a little faster than what I'm used to (I'm still learning the flare characteristics of my new canopy with only 25 or so jumps on it). Well I guess I either touched down too hard or hit something alone the way, but my left heel is sore and a tad swollen. At this time I'm hoping that the swelling will go down and that nothing is broken. But my hockey teamates won't be happy if I can't recover for Wednesday's playoff game. :S Anyway, I won't be jumping tomorrow for likely two reasons. The first one is obvious. But also some crappy weather has blown into the state and jumping just likely wasn't going to be in the cards period (so three jumps this weekend is better than none).

Now while I am forced to put some weight on my toes and doubt I could run, I'm really not hurt that bad (I've hurt myself so many times in sports like hockey that I know when I'm hurt bad and when it's just a bruise). But I guess I need to take some sort of lesson out of this. I'm not sure what, except to know that the chances of getting hurt in skydiving do very much exist on even jumps where you feel like you are in control. [:/]

Blue skies y'all!!! :P

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Know exactly how you feel.
last sunday was over in skydive portugal.
first jump caught a thermal off the runway
as i flared and biffed in not a scratch.
last jump of the day had been hanging around
muscles getting cold came in for landing a little hot
(winds had dropped to zero) had to run a little
(like you still getting used to my new canopy)
felt my thigh muscle cramp up
limped back to the hangar rubbing my leg
next day could hardly walk
cold muscles/joints+ sudden exercise are a recipe for disaster.

get well soon.

Fear is that little darkroom where negatives are developed.
Michael Pritchard.

Bummer! I was there that day, and I remember that the winds were getting weird late in the day. It sounds like you hit harder than you thought, I've done that too. You are a good canopy pilot from what I've seen, so it's good to hear that your basic "can't possibly get hurt" philosophy was tempered without anything much happening to you.

Man, this weather does suck, doesn't it? I'm looking out at 20-degree grey skies, and I was going to be doing video today!

DJan

Man, this weather does suck, doesn't it? I'm looking out at 20-degree grey skies, and I was going to be doing video today!

Poor DJan, not able to jump today. To be honest, I'm not too disappointed that we're not jumping today. Wasn't up for doing the "be cold" jumps.

Steve, hope you're doing better this morning and walking around with less pain.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Steve, hope you're doing better this morning and walking around with less pain.

Hi Mary and DJan ... thanks for the kind words. I am hobbling around today unable to put weight on my heal without pain and I am a little worried about not being able to play hockey on Wednesday and do the balloon jumps at Mile-Hi next weekend. But what can you do? Believe it or not, I do take comfort knowing that this injury isn't the only reason why I couldn't jump today. I guess Mother Nature had other plans for all of us. LOL ... I still need to do my taxes, clean my pad, do some laundry and catch up on some other chores, so today would be a good day to do all of that. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

On my first injury, I totally did something stupid and I knew it was stupid before I did it. I was barefoot, in the rain doing a hopnop. Took it downwind 10+/- mph. I hit a hole and hopped up and twisted my foot. The tendon underneath my foot swelled up like a golfball instantly and all the small bones on the top of my foot were broken (as far as I can tell, I didnt go to the hospital). My toes were black for a couple of weeks. Needless to say I dont jump barefoot anymore, and I dont do downwinders when its raining. I ended up jumping on it about a week and a half later, but I always had to land in the peas(soft & flat) and on one foot for quite sometime.

Back to my point, I used to get a big bucket of ice and then put some water in it. Slush Bucket. I would put my foot in there for as long as I could physically take it. I would do that for about 20 minutes or so. It hurt more than the injury itself, but it got the swelling down really really fast. I had marked improvement after every treatment. I would continue to do that even after I was jumping because it would still swell up and get a bit sore at the end of the day. Oh, you can keep your beer really cold in there too. ;)

That sucks...:S Heels tend to take a while to get better (mine do anyway). Tiptoeing myself after an minor incident on landing out last weekend. Not enough to stop me from jumping, but enough to annoy me... Maybe I'll post it in the safety and training forum later.

Only thing to do is probably to try and keep it still.
-Blue skies and no wind ;)

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

haha that reminds me of my first skydive injury....same thing..I wasnt even jumping yet. LOL

it was during my "Skydive U!" course.
the second day I awoke (before)Bright and(but still) early I was in my van at palatka.
so I step out to go take a shower and stretch out,etc.
and I slipped and twisted the hell out of my knee. it hurt for a month but I did some good, smooth, soft landings.( on my first week of jumping my first rig)

not bad but I guess thats my first skydive injury:o:$ hahah

My photos

My Videos