Meadman

Packing a 235

Try Google for 'parachute packing' or something similar. Here's one of the pages you can use, although I think having someone show you how to do it will be far easier, unless you're really familiar with your canopy and have a very visual mind. But you probably wouldn't be asking if you did.
Ask the person who packs for you, buy them a few drinks if neccesary or attend some sort of class if all else fails. I remember I studied more than ten pages on pro-packing but didn't really understand it until my instructor showed me how it's done.

Whereas I am sure that they are some good sites out there that offer varied methods of packing nothing meets hands on pack experience at the DZ. My suggestion would be to find a coach or someone packing endorsed and get them to show you and monitir you as you learn to pack.

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

My DZ had a packing class for $10.00. It lasted a few hours and went in depth about why we pack like we do, an explanation of linesets. We also disconnected the main and did maintenenace on the rig and then did a few pack jobs. I would think every DZ would offer something like this.

Blue Skies
Steve
Ok, so it's pink, but I'm secure in my manhood, and I still look cool coming in under it!

Packing is performance oriented. Therefore, It should be 1) demonstrated without instruction, 2) taught by the numbers while the Instructor does it, 3) Then you take over and s/he teaches you again by the numbers, 4) then you practice by the numbers while the Instructor guides you with corrective training until you are proficient.

Attached is a document used to wean students off number 3 as a memory jogger. A word of caution, the Pro_Pack document might be "different" than what you're taught. I have students split the line groups over their head on each shoulder rather than all line goups over a single shoulder. It helps to accelerates remembering the specific steps.

On a final note, you may have one Instructor teach you one way and if unavailable, another supervise or teach you differently. "Different" in packing isn't necessarily "wrong." For example, I've seen 15 different ways to pack a pilot chute. They all work. Be receptive to different "styles" and you'll develop your own.

Pro_Packing_Checklist.doc

Flat_Packing.doc

Why not consider the source of your canopy and use the manufacturer's manual........once you become proficient in that you might just become a mentor to others that follow you.....And who knows, maybe even have the ability to teach someone to follow instructions having done that yourself........

Good luck with your quest for knowledge.......however, experience in this area can only be found by doing.......

CRWBUDDHA

on my web site I have a packing study guide, it is about 30 pages long with around 80 photographs and illustrations. Bear in mind I called it a study guide, not a stand-alone course, but you can print it out and look at it whenever you like. The guide is also available on a cd-rom that has over 20 video clips and a slideshow, but I can't put that on the web site 'cause the bandwidth would kill me financially

http://www.sidsrigging.com/Articles/packing/packing_index.htm

hope that it helps, remember packing ain't brain surgery, it's folding fabric, don't over amp it, learn it methodically and you'll be fine.

www.sidsrigging.com
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Yea, im still in the student progression and when I can make it out to the DZ I try and watch and learn everything I can, But I havent made any jumps this year so i just wanted to refresh what I learned last summer.

But i got a tent and this weekend off, so ill be road tripping to the DZ and take me a packing class, and hopefully Come back with my A.

Thx for all the info everyone, its nice to at least talk to people about it when i cant be there.

Wooohoooo