freakydiver

Balloon exit question...

Last weekend at mile-hi in Longmont CO I did my first camera out of the balloon videoing a two way. I exited facing in, while the two exited out. I did alright leaving perfectly right after their set (could've honestly waited a good fraction of a second later) but almost lost it going over backwards (i.e. if you look at the video, while I did keep it all framed up, my feet definately poach some frames). I'm just wondering if there was anything I could've done differently to keep myself less head down and more on my back like perhaps bending my knees putting my feet down to the earth??

Man was it fun tho!

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

acting like you are taking a step back rather than pushing off will help. Pushing off with your hands puts momentum on your upper body thus the rotating to headdown. step off look up ,get tour shot but remember you cant use the relitive wind at first.
A nice fluid motion works best and pre empting the go will help with the shot.
if my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
my site

I am still angling to jump a balloon since I have not yet had the privilege. However, it sounds like the same principle as jumping a tailgate aircraft: right out the door there is little or no relative wind, so any movement other than falling off will happen without the damping effect of the wind cushion. If you twist or flip slightly, that's where you'll end up when the wind hits, and a funnel can result.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

1. Wear a jumpsuit with the baggiest arms possible.

2. Get someone to call the count as: "Ready!....Set!....Go!Go!"

You want about a half second between the two "Go's".
You go on the 1st "Go"; Your photographic subjects go on the 2nd.

3. Hop off the balloon backward and go directly into a sit, while keeping your camera pointed up at your subject(s). You may want to hold your arms back slightly more than usual to compensate for the tendency to roll back. You will start to roll back, but just as your spine becomes almost horizontal, you will reach a speed where your arms pull you upright into a nice solid sit.

(Of course this will only work if you already know how to sit-fly.)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Don't tip over backwards or fall off. Just put one foot back, let go of the balloon and let gravity take your other foot off. Whatever momentum you leave with you will continue with since its dead air. If you leave in a sit/stand type position, you will be able to look up at your jumpers and not flip over when you leave. Then just kind of recline back and track away on your back.

Thanks for all the posts - I think the best idea (and looking at the vid time and time again) is stepping off rather than pushing off - cuz I pushed off really hard. I felt my momentum going rotating backwards. The video is funny, it turned out suprisingly well except for you see both of my feet in it for a few...

BTW - its nothing like leaving a tailgate aircraft, I've got about 150 exits on those...

Thanks again all!

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

You could exit the balloon like Michael and I do. I had Jeremy's camera and think I got some good shots. At least that's what Jeremy said, I've yet to see the pictures.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey