Keithor

Any canopy control courses being held in Toronto or Montreal?

I just bought my first rig which I don't even have yet. I have read all kinds of articles about canopies. The more I read the more questions I had/have. Just wondering if anyone knows of a canopy control course being held in the Toronto or Montreal area.

If not, would anyone else be interested in taking one? I am sure that if we had enough people we could get a local DZ to host one, and find an instructor to teach one. I'd be willing to do most of the work in trying to organize one if people are interested.

Hi Keithor,

I believe there is a PD canopy course being organized for September sometime at the Parachute School of Toronto. From the PST Facebook page:

" Update!! Ian Drennan and JC need us to do 202 and 101 since that is the most requested second course. If you are in, please email money transfer $100 to me so I can lock this down asap! Oct 5th - 202, Oct 6 101. This is how it will work since the group with more people may need more time to complete jumps sunday. Hopefully not if we have two planes... !! "

PM me if you would like the organizer's email address to get in on one of the courses :)
PULL!! or DIE!!

I'll probably hold one again at Skydive Toronto, but not until next spring.

I'm not one of the big names in the field but have done courses at a few local DZ's. As you may know, the format I've been doing is to teach in class, focusing on understanding the theory and practical techniques. Then I provide numerous exercises to practice later on one's own. Although not having the jumps integrated into the course has its disadvantages too, this way the course is less expensive and isn't weather dependent.

If you don't have it already, there's a compilation of canopy control related documents available for download at my small site https://sites.google.com/site/canopyflight/

With video cameras all over these days, jumpers could be capturing each others' landings a lot more for learning purposes, but in practice one doesn't see it happen a lot!

Martin Lemay hosts Flight-1 courses at Parachutisme Nouvel-Air. There was a 101 course that was held this past Sunday. You can send him a message asking when he plans on hosting another one!
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts