MattyBoy

Lost Currency

I gained my A licence in New Zealand earlier this year and notched up about 35 jumps, however, lack of money has seen things put on hold a bit! I'm now in Victoria, Australia, and should have the dollars to get current again soon.

I was wondering what sort of reception I'll get, not having jumped for about 3-4 months? I assume I'll have to be assessed by an instructor? should I book this with the DZ or just turn up? and what sort of cost does this usually incur? I'd be grateful if anyone could help.
Also, what does the assessment usually involve?

Thanks again!

I may be gullible but at least I have a magic fish

Welcome to Victoria :).... not.
3-4 month is not too bad I think. I would suggest you give Don Cross in Nagambie (CI) a call and have a chat. I don't know exactly what they would like you to do, maybe a hop and pop to start with. The weather is better up there then in Melbourne (especially this time of year). He will be able to talk to you what you can / should do.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

I was wondering what sort of reception I'll get, not having jumped for about 3-4 months?

a) I assume you are a "Pom" (british)
b) You learned skydiving in New Zealand

Conclusion: We make you pay for the beer all night :):ph34r:
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

Snap. I just mailed Don and Louise today about that exact issue (I have a lot fewer jumps though). Don's not back untli tomorrow though; I'll let you know how I get on.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

OK. My last jump was nearly five months ago, AFF stage 7. Here's the word:

Since that's longer than the 90-day student currency window, I have to sit in on a couple of FJC classes (canopy control, malfunctions), then take either stage 6 or 7 (instructor's discretion) again. Fortunately there's a FJC running tomorrow :)
Not so bad, really. I'm sure it'll be less of a stress in your case.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Well... that was a whole load of fun, but I sucked hard.

My currency jump was stage six, and I did it much better the first time [:/]

I potato-chipped. I pretzeled. I corkscrewed my dive exit. And I landed off from a makeable spot.

Skydiving has been so instinctive for me so far, it didn't occur to me that my body would forget how to do stuff. So it came as something of a shock to realise that I couldn't make myself go forward to dock with my JM (I was reaching with my arms, duh).

Lesson: don't lose currency, and do not jump sick. I had a cold, it was spacing me out - and I was almost completely deaf when I reached the ground. Got too focused on getting back in the air, I suppose, when I should have just sat in on the FJC then gone home.

So I'm going back this weekend to iron all that crap out. Do the packing class, spend a lot more time on the turntable thingy practicing box man (apparently that's gone out the window too). With a bit of luck I can finish AFF this time...
--