ironeagle

Book

I'm new....one tandem jump. Is there like a book that stands out as great book for a newb to learn from?

Ahh, nice to see so many people mentioning my name! I actually wrote a book called JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy that was published by McGraw-Hill early this year. JUMP! is targeted at people like you who are interested in what the sport is about. It's ideal for folks who haven't made a jump yet, and for those who have made one or two jumps and want more guidance before continuing.

There is another book called Parachuting: The Skydivers Handbook by Dan Poynter and Mike Turoff. This one takes a reader from the very first jump and adds tons of material for experienced skydivers.

I like to suggest JUMP! as the best bet for beginners, and The Skydivers Handbook for folks who know they will be sticking with the sport.

Both books are available at many local bookstores, at many drop zones, and on-line at places like Amazon.com.

Enjoy the sky!

Tom Buchanan
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Before I had done any jumps i got a book called SKYDIVE - Sport Parachuting Explained by Chris Donaldson which was good and is aimed at beginners then I got Parachuting: The Skydivers Handbook by Dan Poynter. Both books helped alot before I started jumping so that when I got in the air for my AFF i was already aware of what would be asked of me (Although the feeling of my first freefall could not possibly of been prepared for!!)

Since then I have scanned through JUMP! and I would of bought that as my first book had it been available on amazon.co.uk and not just amazon.com.;)

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

Hi
I am new too and I am actually reading "Mental training for Skydiving and Life" John J DeRosalia. Not only should we be reading the technical aspect of skydiving but mental as well. This book describes the psychological aspects of learning skydiving well. Everybody should read this book just for improvement.
Jackie