again, this is groovychic, not flyin' designswhy are there so many differnt ways of teaching AFF? At my dz I am going by the ISP, (catergories A-E, multiple jumps per level) I have notice other people posting about levels by number and so on as well as I have heard it discussed in that manor as well. My husband (flyin'designs) also did "levels" at Skydive Lakewales last Nov. I am just curious as if this is a mandatory USPA change or if it is per JM, DZ and so on. What are the benefits and drawbacks of both? Thanks for asking my questions:)
"Shut up and jump already....Whats that? Your mommy wont let you?"

Pick up a USPA SIM and you'll see the suggested student program and you'll see the various ways to go about them (S/L, IAD, ISP, Tandem progression, etc).

Some DZs do it different, because they've been doint it a certain way for a while and it works for them. Even the DZs that follow the SIM almost to the "t" are a little different.

As long as all the BSRs are being followed and no FARS are being broken, and you're learning well, then enjoy.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

In theory, all DZs teach AFF in a similar manner, but in practice, minor differences between DZs are common.
This is the first time I have heard various "levels" of AFF referred to by letters.
Some times the differences are obvious, i.e. Cessna DZs often break the most difficult dive into two separate dives because they are going from 10,000 feet instead of the 13,000 feet common at Twin Otter DZs.
On the other hand, some variations are simply because the staff has been doing it that way forever and are too lazy to change.