danebert

Opening Shock/Landing for An Old-Timer

Thinking about getting back into the blue. It has been 25 Years since I have Jump(349 Jumps). Last chute I jump was a ParaCommader. I have no experience with the new style chutes. I am a heavy drop(230 lbs.) Main question is what kind of landing/opening shock can I expect, compare to the P.C.

Thanks
Dan Ebert
C4848

Hey Dan i would think that with the right canopy and training under said canopy, you would have very little to no opening or landing shock. A PD Spectre comes to mind as a good beginning square with reputation for soft openings and landings. Visit the dz and ask some instructors. Good Luck.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised and quite amazed with the new gear. PCs had a tendency to open a bit on the hard side, and the typical harnesses we used back then did not help much.

There are also canopies that are specifically designed to open softly, but keep in mind that the packer has a great deal of control over the opening speed.

Student canopies are generally considered docile-to-medium in their handling and opening characteristics, but they are very high performance compared to the PCs. No worries about openings or transitioning to the new gear, though, because the teaching methods have improved quite dramatically.

I hope you do get back into the sport. Most skydivers (and DZs) these days are more civilized than back then, but the fun is still definitely there.

Walt

p.s. You would be quite surprised at how many skydivers have never seen a round canopy in the air!

You and I have a lot in common. Jumping is far easier than it used to be. I recommend a Spectre, for both docile openings, docile handling, and good landings. Everything is better than it was in the old days. A Spectre 210 would be good, a 230 would be very mellow. I bought a 190 when I got back, and have about 500 jumps on it now.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I actually did the same thing, 25 yr layoff started back in 2001. It really is amazing the changes made in gear. However I can say without a doubt the new canopies are capable of opening 10 times harder then a PC ever could. So you really do need to be mindful of packing and of what canopy you choose. Even the most docile of new canopies can open very hard. Of course they also for the most part open much softer, so like I said you just need to be mindful of canopy choice and packing. You will find that flying and landing the new designs are fantastic with no comparison to a PC, so much better.
So like Nike said just do it! You absolutely will not regret it. But be open minded because a lot has changed. The newer jumpers fly so much better, with so fewer jumps. The canopies are so much faster, and so much more controllable. The jump planes are way faster and hold more jumpers, the deployment methods have changed. The harness/containers are way different, the AAD or you may remember them as AO are so much better and way more prevalent. It’s just a much improved sport. Go for it.

Thinking about getting back into the blue. It has been 25 Years since I have Jump(349 Jumps). Last chute I jump was a ParaCommader. I have no experience with the new style chutes. I am a heavy drop(230 lbs.) Main question is what kind of landing/opening shock can I expect, compare to the P.C.

Thanks
Dan Ebert
C4848

Made my first jump at age 52. I have had one or two hard openings over 1200+ jumps since then, nothing the old body couldn't handle. Landings have not been a problem. I jump a Stiletto150 or sometimes a 135.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.